Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
Someone commented in another thread that the front bumper I have is not for the car I have. So can someone direct me to what bumper (and what mounts I need) for my car

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
65 triumph 10 (1).JPG    48.6 KB
65 triumph 10 (1).JPG

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497379 by regnaston Someone commented in another thread that the front bumper I have is not for the car I have. So can someone direct me to what bumper (and what mounts I need) for my car

In that other thread I suggested what I thought would be the easiest and least expensive course of action - again, that would be to use a Spitfire Mk2 front bumper set up. New parts are available from Rimmer Brothers https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID005906 I suggested that because you already have the early valence and hinge tubes in place, and little modification, if any would be needed. The only repair that might be needed would be to the bonnet link pivot assemblies on the front of the frame. They appeared to be slightly altered (cut) by the PO.

Used parts, if you can find them, will save you some money.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 04:37 PM by gfe05111952.

Attachments:
Spitfire MK2 Frame Details.pdf    361.9 KB

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
It is hard to see how the hinges are working so also difficult to see just what might need done to fit any of them. Or, just do as others with this style do and install just the overriders on the hinges.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
Here's Dales previous thread, Dan. In it are pics of the bonnet hinges. http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1495584

Apparently, he needs to install a full bumper to get a safety certificate in Canada.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 05:04 PM by gfe05111952.

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Well that's a bummer if I will need to get a front bumper for my GT6+ when I take it for a safety inspection. I was hoping to get away with just the overriders mounted to the horns at the front. I have the corner bumpers for the rear. I hope that the BC safety inspection might be more forgiving than the Ontario one? Does anyone know, or is it just the luck of the draw?
Regards,
Paul

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
In reply to # 1497924 by 69gt6stopp Well that's a bummer if I will need to get a front bumper for my GT6+ when I take it for a safety inspection. I was hoping to get away with just the overriders mounted to the horns at the front. I have the corner bumpers for the rear. I hope that the BC safety inspection might be more forgiving than the Ontario one? Does anyone know, or is it just the luck of the draw?
Regards,
Paul

Standards are different between provinces.

Ask a mechanic there to be sure

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Paul, a shop that does MVIs might over look the fact that the bumper is not there with the caps there, as long as everything else checks out. Was the car BC registered before?

'S all for now
Vic

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Hi Vic,
Yes, the car was BC registered before to a guy in N. Van, but probably at least 10 years ago. I do already have the car BC registered in my name, but no plates have been issued.
When it comes time to obtain plates for insurance I would have to disclose a body color and engine change. I think they will insist on a safety inspection because the car has been off the road for so long, (not to mention I have just about remade it).
Regards,
Paul

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Are you going for collector plates or just regular plates?

I have only been required to get a vehicle inspected if it was registered out of province, or is 'new built'
The 'standards' of the inspection vary. (Ask around in the Locost/Lotus 7 community )

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Well I understand now that you can get 'modified' collector plates, where it is not so important for the car to be factory original. If I can qualify for these that's what I would try for.
Failing that I would just go for a 6 month insurance.
Regards,
Paul

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
My car was off the road for 25 years, I had to chase down the previous registered owner to get a title in my name before I did any kind of work on it. Like you I just got in my name, no driving insurance. I just gave them to title when it was time and they gave me a plate, no questions asked. That's what you should do, if they ask questions then let them know. I don't think you can get collector plates, too far from original. A modified collector plate is for something like none stock bumpers or seats.

I'd get the six month plate, then try for the modified saying the OEM equipment wouldn't stay running.

'S all for now
Vic

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Hi Vic,
Thanks for your information, that is what I shall try first.
Regards,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster