seat belt install triumph spitfire

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
1972 triumph spitfire , my old seat belts are lost so i bought a orignal set of the seat belts from english parts, these are not the ones that go over your sholder and in the rear of the car i kind of remember a black thing that use to be attached on each side . maybe its called a retractor ? i dont know but i dont have that anymore . so the set i bought does not have a retractor so will that work? the guys at english parts said it would . is this true ? thanks Van

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
The factory '72 car had shoulder belts that did not retract.

vnunnally Van Nunnally
when i bought the new seat belts i didnt buy shoulder belts as i remember they didnt go over my shoulder. i bought what they said was original

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
If you just have lap belts they will work without the retractors, just need to shorten up on the strap when buckling....like on an airplane. My 1970 has original lap belts only with no retractors.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

vnunnally Van Nunnally
thanks . i will probably get the shoulder ones later

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Confusion in terminology! Dave refers to having NO retractors on his original 1970 lap belts. Federal law at that time required belts to be installed, but I'm pretty sure Triumph did that either at Port of Entry or at some point on the route to the regional distributor or final selling dealer. Actually, the belts likely were actually installed by the dealer, since it was a simple matter of fastening the ends to the eye bolts already in the floor. Anyway, some of those belts did have the little chrome retractors, possibly also a plastic "sleeve" as well:

These simply helped coil up the male part of the belt when not in use, and one had to pull that part all the way out and then adjust the belt with the buckle side.

Meanwhile, what I casually refer to as the inertia reel part is also commonly called a retractor, and it works more like belts we're used to in modern cars: they allow some movement but lock on sudden deceleration / impact. That would look a bit more like this:

I thought I remembered 1972 models has having the lap/shoulder combination with inertia reel, but it's been a long time since I've had a '72!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Thanks Andy, good point about the difference of the inertial/arresting type!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
My '73, FM5281 had inertia reels, but the current '72 just has the floppy shoulder belts.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I can check my 72 tomorrow. The belt parts are all in tubs instead of the car so it is easy. I can't believe I have never photo's all the pieces in those tubs. Will have to rectify that too.
Dan

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1497267 by Yellowhawk Valley I can check my 72 tomorrow. The belt parts are all in tubs instead of the car so it is easy. I can't believe I have never photo's all the pieces in those tubs. Will have to rectify that too.
Dan

This is from my 72. It is a 3 point system. The Commission plate indicates it is an early 72, (Dec 71) but already has the good type of belts.
Dan

Attachments:
IMG_0517.JPG    38.5 KB
IMG_0517.JPG

vnunnally Van Nunnally
i see that. i only have the pieces where the actual seat belts would go it to buckle up. and i did buy a lap belt set from english parts which they said would work. i hope they do, i dont have the retractors

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster