AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497010 by spitfire50 Cole,
Bruce gives a close approximation of the procedure I have seen (but never followed) in at least one manual.
From your pic I would say you do have one of the too thick seals.
I've been reusing the old seals for most of the thirty + years I have owned my Spitfire, so I can't offer much guidance on trimming the thick ones.
For whatever it's worth:

1. My experience is like Paul's; I tend to reuse without drama.
2. Several years ago, I scored a good deal on NOS (maybe NORS?) seals. Not surprisingly, the height of the dry felt was far closer to the used ones, far thinner than what is pictured above!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RiPe Richard Peetz
Sequim, Washington, USA   USA
Hey All,
I wrote an article for Spitfire & GT6 magazine about this a few years ago. Mainly showing measurements indicating ALL the replacement metal felt holders from ALL sources I tried, from both here and abroad, were too large in diameter to press fit into the hubs without deforming the felt holder. First choice is to use the stock felt holders and just replace the felt, cutting it down if necessary. Next choice, in desperation, if you absolutely have to (I had to do one), is reducing the diameter if the new felt holders, which I demonstrated in the article. The available new metal bases are quite fragile, being MUCH thinner metal than oem and the side walls are twice as tall. At the time of the article, I spent a lot of time trying to find a modern rubber/spring seal that fit, and while i.d. and o.d. matches were available, standard application sizes were either too short or too tall for our application. Maybe there are some more choices out there now. The oem does the job, though.

Interestingly, my Autobook and Clymer manuals and my old edition of Haynes says to soak the felt in oil. My newer edition of Haynes says to grease them. I used oil, anybody tried grease?

Regards,
Richard

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
It's been awhile... but I installed GT6 front brakes on my old Spit 6 (regretfully sold in 2009). I soaked them in oil as per instructions I received.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the felt thickness. They'll wear down against the spindle to whatever thickness they need to be.

I'll probably order a set of these from someone soon as I probably need to service the front bearings on my GT6 and I have another set of GT6 front brakes to install on my Spitfire, so I'll probably be going through this exercise again.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NEVADA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
Hi Tony. You got a source for those?

In reply to # 1497149 by Tonyfixit

However, I now understand from links that members posted that 'proper' neoprene seals are available.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1497426 by bonnett1954 Hi Tony. You got a source for those?

However, I now understand from links that members posted that 'proper' neoprene seals are available.

Sorry, no. I had already cut leather seals, as I wanted to get the car back on the road ASAP. I did not have further problems so have yet to investigate those links.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA

Dave,
Try some looking around on Lotus sites. The 1960s Elan and Europa both used the Triumph vertical link and hub. ISTR they have found a rubber seal that works.
All the best,
Paul

bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NEVADA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
No problem Tony. Thanks for the tip Paul.

Azoth Shane G
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA

From reading on some lotus sites, you can either try and get them from http://davebean.com, or this website: https://www.limora.com/en/oil-seal-1-141031.html. They seem pretty expensive though. If the size was known it could probably be bought somewhere else for much less.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
If someone could post the outer diameter (I know the inner diameter form a used bearing, and I assume the thickness to be less than 1/4"winking smiley I could look something up.

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
NATIONAL 223822 might do it. shaft size - 1.496, OD- 2.098 thk.- .315 A thinner one might be better though.

https://www.fmmotorparts.com/fmstorefront/federalmogul/en/USD/Driveline/Wheel-Bearings,-Seals,-Hub-Assemblies/SEALS-WheelSeal/National-Oil-Seal/p/RNT223822

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster