Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cbez Cole B
Fallbrook, California, USA   USA
Hi guys my wheel hub saga unfolds.

PO did not have the felt seal in or the steel ring/cup in. When I went to replace the bearing I found that fun fact.

Put the new bearings and seal in according to my Haynes book, which shows felt facing the bearing. Everything fit and worked fine. Didn't sit right with me though as I thought about the felt coming apart and fouling the bearings.

Did some research, found out the felt should be against the vertical link and a lot of the diagrams are drawn wrong, including mine.

So, I pulled the hub this morning and turned it around, but now my rotor is not sitting right with my caliper (too far out). I tightened the castellated nut until the hub was binding then backed it out until it was spinning free.

I read the seals sometimes come too thick but also that the suppliers may have adjusted.

So judging from my pic did I get one of the too thick ones?

I'm going to check and make sure everything seated correctly, try it over again. If not I guess I'll cut the felt down (how much??).

1971 Triumph Spitfire MK 4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 02:41 PM by cbez.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
23316739_10156305967761874_2930248393971250212_n.jpg    19.7 KB
23316739_10156305967761874_2930248393971250212_n.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I share your pain! But this thread may proove helpful.

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1472806

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
This is what was suggested to me on my TR3, and how i installed the felt seals.

Leave the seal off, install the nut and set the adjustment on the wheel bearing. Count the exposed threads, and with a marker mark the position of the nut and a reference mark to align it to.

Take the nut off, install the seal, having soaked in oil 24 hrs, then step on it carefully to squish out the excess. Tighten a bit, and let it sit awhile. Keep tightening very couple hours till the thread count and mark aligns.

Follow these instructions at your own risk. Seemed to work for me. A bit tight at first but then ok.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Cole,
Bruce gives a close approximation of the procedure I have seen (but never followed) in at least one manual.
From your pic I would say you do have one of the too thick seals.
I've been reusing the old seals for most of the thirty + years I have owned my Spitfire, so I can't offer much guidance on trimming the thick ones.
Good luck,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I agree that felt pad appears about 1/3 too thick.
Dan

cbez Cole B
I cut the felt down and everything fit and played nicely.

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
I too had to cut mine to the proper thickness. I don't know if anyone makes the right felt ring anymore.

bonnett1954 Avatar
bonnett1954 Silver Member Dave Bonnett
Las Vegas, NEVADA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Union Jack"
Hi Cole. You got the metal ring to fit in the hub? The ones I got from spit bits are too big. And from what I understand all the seals from the other supply houses have the same problem.
In reply to # 1497048 by cbez I cut the felt down and everything fit and played nicely.

cbez Cole B
Yeah the ring fit fine.

bonnett1954 Avatar
Where did you get them?

cbez Cole B
Moss motors kit. Made in south korea.

bonnett1954 Avatar
Thanks.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
In reply to # 1496967 by brucejon This is what was suggested to me on my TR3, and how i installed the felt seals.

Leave the seal off, install the nut and set the adjustment on the wheel bearing. Count the exposed threads, and with a marker mark the position of the nut and a reference mark to align it to.

Take the nut off, install the seal, having soaked in oil 24 hrs, then step on it carefully to squish out the excess. Tighten a bit, and let it sit awhile. Keep tightening very couple hours till the thread count and mark aligns.

Follow these instructions at your own risk. Seemed to work for me. A bit tight at first but then ok.

This is pretty much what I did the first time around.
However it seems excess felt was squeezed around into the bearing, causing it to fail.

The inner bearing was filled with black grease and fibreous matterial.

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1497131 by Tonyfixit
In reply to # 1496967 by brucejon This is what was suggested to me on my TR3, and how i installed the felt seals.

This is pretty much what I did the first time around.
However it seems excess felt was squeezed around into the bearing, causing it to fail.

The inner bearing was filled with black grease and fibreous matterial.

Perhaps add a step... Once you have it set, take it apart one last time to verify all is as it should be.... perhaps the tr3 and tr6 which i also did this way is less finicky.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
My fix (so far) was to replace the felt seals with leather seals made to the same thickness as the compressed felt.

However, I now understand from links that members posted that 'proper' neoprene seals are available.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster