Cold Weather!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cwm3232 Colin M
Boston, MA, USA   USA
Hey everybody! So I have a 1980 Spit up her in the Boston area and drove it yesterday when it was under 40 for the first time and had a tough time right at the beginning. Needed to choke it pretty severely and then use choke for a bit until she warmed up. I assume this is standard but has anybody found a good solution for this? Also the choke lock on my spit recently stopped working which means I need to dedicate my left hand to manually operating that while driving, anybody have thoughts on how to fix that?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1496870 by cwm3232 Hey everybody! So I have a 1980 Spit up her in the Boston area and drove it yesterday when it was under 40 for the first time and had a tough time right at the beginning. Needed to choke it pretty severely and then use choke for a bit until she warmed up. I assume this is standard but has anybody found a good solution for this?

Thats exactly what a choke is for! Other than makng sure your carb/carbs are in tune and no vacuum leaks it sounds normal.

In reply to # 1496870 by cwm3232 Also the choke lock on my spit recently stopped working which means I need to dedicate my left hand to manually operating that while driving, anybody have thoughts on how to fix that?

Are they twist to lock cables on the 1980's? i am not sure... but a new cable should fix it.

How'd she do today at 25 degrees?smileys with beer

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
Move south , far far south .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
laverda1200 Paul LeClair
Calgary, Alberta, Canada   CAN
it also gets cold and snowy here in Calgary Alberta Canada. When it starts to get cold I put the hard top on. This photo is from a couple of days ago.

the choke is required to be used for cold starts and initial warm up, that is what it is for. The locking mechanism to keep the choke engaged is built in to the choke cable assembly. All you need to do is replace the choke cable, last one I bought was about $25 from Spitbits a couple of weeks ago, but most vendors carry them. They do wear out, and sometimes they break. I usually order two choke cables and two throttle cables at a time, and keep spares in the trunk of the Spit.

Paul LeClair

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 10:54 AM by laverda1200.

Attachments:
Spitfire Snow Day.jpg    27.5 KB
Spitfire Snow Day.jpg

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, Washington, USA   USA
1980 spit is water choke. If adjusted right will stay on a long time. Just move the heat sink (the one with the hoses) clockwise of the mark, will stay on longer. CCW less.

Bill

1980 Spitfire

Dale M. Avatar
Tell City, Indiana, USA   USA
That would be assuming that it hasn’t already been converted to manual choke like some have done. The question then remains, which choke does he have? Also for everyone to help, it would help to know what setup he has currently. Pictures would help.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1497014 by Dale M. That would be assuming that it hasn’t already been converted to manual choke like some have done. The question then remains, which choke does he have? Also for everyone to help, it would help to know what setup he has currently. Pictures would help.

well i don't think he is reaching into the engine compartment with his left hand to hold the choke while driving... but you are right, that is an assumption

Dale M. Avatar
Tell City, Indiana, USA   USA
That being said, it could be assumed that it is no longer the water choke and has been converted to manual. That being the case, sounds like all you need is a new cable. I’m no expert though. How does he know about the twist to lock? What years came with that feature?

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Post us some pictures of the choke handle and the mechanism on the carb.
Dan

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
so today i took my car out for a quick spin. this was the coldest temperature i have driven my car in...(35F)... second coldest would be 50's. My car started up fine..didn't give it any gas...just the choke. And boy, these engines do not like to run cold. it idle pretty good after startup, but just doens't like it. One i could go to 1/2 choke I started down the driveway, it took awhile, but once the temp reached close to normal (it never really got to the normal 3/4 mark.), it ran great. Maybe I need to put a piece of cardboard infront of radiator.
anyway..just comparing notes.

on a side note...i was somewhat surprised how toasty warm inside the car was. I tought being so drafty...and the lack of insulation compared to ...any car....i would be a little cold.

no snow...so roads are still salt free.... and being that it is a La nina year....might be a warmer than normal winter....unlike the NW (according to the Wx ch)

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
My car has been converted to manual. When it's cold out, once fully warmed up it doesn't require any choke. But it takes 5mins full. And some choke say 1/2 at lights for the 1st 5/6 miles. The gauge stats low. Blocking the radiator will help it stay warmer when moving.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links