TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

New Softop put on! tips on waterproofing?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cwm3232 Colin M
Boston, MA, USA   USA
Hey guys! 1980 Spit and I just got a new softop put on, they did a pretty good job but they were adamant the whole time that it'd never be water tight. I get a bit of water coming in through the top of the windows which makes sense but I wanted to know if anybody had any good ideas to make that a bit better? I think I can add a bit of weather stripping to the existing roof and as long as it folds down well I think I can help my situation. In addition I was driving in the rain the other day and my ankle kept getting drips on it- slightly concerning considering it was controlling the accelerator well under the dash and away from the windows. Just wondering if anybody had any thoughts! Thanks guys!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
There are several rubber grommets on the firewall that seal the wire loom and cables, one of those could be damaged or missing and water is spraying in to the cockpit.

You can try adjusting the windows to fit inside the new top when the windows are up.

'S all for now
Vic

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Go to the typical big box hardware and pick up some neoprene weather strip and some foam pipe insulation that's like those pool noodles. You can get creative with various sizes and they cut with scissors.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Eastbourne, East Sussex, UK   GBR
Hi Colin,
The drip on your ankle will probably be from rain leaking past the windscreen washer jets on the scuttle or, less commonly, getting in round the wiper spindles. Here in the UK we have stuff called 'Seek and Seal' which works well but only use a tiny amount.

Good luck.

Adrian

Edited as I got Colin's name wrong; very sorry Colin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 04:56 AM by Adrian Cooper.

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Water will splash up onto the firewall, lay on the flat area, and as said, drip in where it's not sealed. Brake & clutch seal rubber.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497412 by Falkon Water will splash up onto the firewall, lay on the flat area, and as said, drip in where it's not sealed. Brake & clutch seal rubber.

Actually, splashing up from below is a very minor issue.

MOST of the water on the rear deck is due to the fact that the air intake drains onto the rear deck.

You have to admire the effort it took to make sure all of the water would come out in close proximity to the coil.

The little rubber flap provided is to prevent engine fumes from entering the cabin.

Works,.....as expected.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster