TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Winter storage - Fogging oil, Valve springs etc.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, Washington, USA   USA
Its time to put her to bed for awhile. Its been a great 6 months, but its getting cold and rainy and she really likes the sun.

I've done all the usual fluid changes etc etc etc. A couple of questions.

1. I thought i would try fogging oil. Not what i expected. Very solvent based. I got the stabil one. I sprayed in each cylinder then i rotated the engine 1 turn and sprayed some more. Am i better off just putting a tablespoon of 20/50 in each cylinder or is this better?

2. Also since i am going to move her back and forth to avoid flat spots on the tires i thought i might as well move the engine to not let the valve springs get tired. How far do i need to rotate the engine to move the springs (extended vs relaxed ) completely -- 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn?

All thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

1980 Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Or use some Marvel Mystery Oil and back off the rocker shaft assembly until all valves are closed.

Dennis smiling smiley

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Fogging oil is good, but I personally use MMO.

If the car is in 4th gear turning the drive wheels a 1/4 turn will spin the engine almost one revolution.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
is it ok to put new oil in the engine....leave it in for say 5 months..and still use oil for next season...or is it 'stale' ? (engine never fired up)

now what if i ran the engine a few times...so that the oil never changes color.....

i want to change the oil...as in old oil left in the engine for long periods of not running can do harmful things...so i am told.

but i would hate to put new oil in....only to change it again...in the spring.

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
I'm not sure what harm "old" oil could do over the winter. It just sits on the bottom of the pan - not like the moving parts are soaking in it. Not that that would hurt anything. As far as starting it during the winter, I think that unless you can get it up to operating temp. and take it for about an hour ride, you'd do more harm than good. It would just build up moisture in the crankcase and exhaust system. I'm not sure a 6 month siesta would do any harm to the valve train either. There's a lot of resilience there.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
fogging the cylinders is a good idea... probably going a bit far worrying about the valve springs.. the sit like that 24x7 anyway. Rotating the engine every once in a while would be fine... but also probably unnecessary. My GT6 sat from 1994-2010 outdoors and in unheated garages.. started fine and has been running ever since.

I'm not saying don't prep for winter.. but oiling the cylinders and treating the gas is probably all you need to do.

ETA i would change the oil just before storage too... old/used oil becomes acidic and can eat the bearings if left to sit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 07:54 AM by tmpass.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Oil will not go bad. For the most part it is everal millon years old to begin with ;-)

What could hurt is acids in the oil formed as a by product of combustion. Your oil will have buffers to counter these acids (unless you use a pure race oil designed for short oil change intervals) but in a perfect situation it might be best to change the oil before storage, Fog the cylinders and don't start the engine until you plan to use the car on a regular bases again.
Pushing the car to prevent flat spots on the tires is a nice idea, Some owner jack the wheels.

I like the idea of Fogging because it is easy to squirt through through the plug holes and better coat the cyl walls, but I like MMO for it's cleaning ability especially in the piston ring area.
Now, if there was a MMO fogging spray.....

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1496919 by Tonyfixit Oil will not go bad. For the most part it is everal millon years old to begin with ;-)

What could hurt is acids in the oil formed as a by product of combustion.

thanks for repeating exactly what i said... its important to repeat things over and over to triumph owners tongue sticking out smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links