Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Paul D Smith Avatar
Paul D Smith Paul S
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
Never thought about those. Just went and looked. This is a photo of seats in a 2008 Smart Car for Two.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Paul D Smith Avatar
Paul D Smith Paul S
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
Never thought about those. Just went and looked. This is a photo of seats in a 2008 Smart Car for Two. If they fit, look good!

Attachments:
2008-Brabus-smart-fortwo-Xclusive-Seats-1920x1440.jpg    22.8 KB
2008-Brabus-smart-fortwo-Xclusive-Seats-1920x1440.jpg

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Speaking for mine I can say the Spit's frame widens at the rear of the floor pan.

They were able to fit seats over that obstacle by offsetting the floor rails on the inner track and suspending the inner pivot for the back. In addition, they leaned the back in to clear the hood mechanism.

Raising an after-market seat to clear will likely result in a view over the windshield rather than through it. I had to do a major "foamectomy" on the driver's side before I got it right. BTW: I finally removed the original and put in memory foam - including in the lower lumbar area.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
There are a number of tiny upright cars that might serve as narrow seat donors.
Suzuki Aveo comes to mind.
Chevy Spark?
But many of them are too tall.
What do the Lotus7 clones (LoCost) use for seats?

Carter

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
In reply to # 1497146 by Doug in Vegas Speaking for mine I can say the Spit's frame widens at the rear of the floor pan.

They were able to fit seats over that obstacle by offsetting the floor rails on the inner track and suspending the inner pivot for the back. In addition, they leaned the back in to clear the hood mechanism.

Raising an after-market seat to clear will likely result in a view over the windshield rather than through it. I had to do a major "foamectomy" on the driver's side before I got it right. BTW: I finally removed the original and put in memory foam - including in the lower lumbar area.

Yep. When I put my Miata seats in they wouldn't go back far enough so I raised the back a little more then 1" to clear the frame. Now the wind screen frame is at eye level and I have to duck to see under the mirror when turning right.
I plan to modify them this winter and hopefully have them lean a bit backward rather then forward. Im also thinking about shortening the frame for the back a bit so it better clears the hood frame but that will depend on what results I get from the other mods.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1497270 by J.P.Rap
In reply to # 1497146 by Doug in Vegas Speaking for mine I can say the Spit's frame widens at the rear of the floor pan.

Yep. When I put my Miata seats in they wouldn't go back far enough so I raised the back a little more then 1" to clear the frame. Now the wind screen frame is at eye level and I have to duck to see under the mirror when turning right.
I plan to modify them this winter and hopefully have them lean a bit backward rather then forward. Im also thinking about shortening the frame for the back a bit so it better clears the hood frame but that will depend on what results I get from the other mods.

I am thinking of stripping the Miata seats again down to the lower steel pans and reshape them. This is going to involve selective cuts and a bit of pummeling. I'll take pictures and do a writeup. Ideally I'll be able to tilt the seats forward like the stock ones and they clear the rear to go back all the way.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Hi,
You know, all this about "foamectomies", cutting the tracks,and modifying the frames to make Miata seats better really makes it look as if the Triumph seats would be worth more effort. By the time you are done making the Mazda seats right they will be custom seats.
Your cars, your choices. Enjoy them.
All the best,
Paul

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Agreed. After my ex rebuilt the seats in her Spitfire with new foam and covers about 10 years ago, we found they are pretty comfortable. I drove the car on some fairly long trips. Even my current Spitfire seats aren't that bad, although they could use new foam. My GT6 has good covers, but the seat foam was already crumbling when I bought the car back in 2012. I've driven my Spitfire on a number of long, multi-day trips - including two America's British Reliability Runs (2015 & 2017) as well as trips to Lime Rock and Mid-Ohio for vintage racing festivals. I find the lack of cruise control and air conditioning to be more of an issue than seat comfort.

I still have my Miata seats (currently modified to fit into the classic Mini I had - was a huge improvement over the OE seats) as well as a set of BMW E30 sport seats. I have had this debate with some friends who have Miata seats in their cars and I am still not convinced they are better than a set of refurbished stock seats.

Looking at the picture of the Smart car seats, the biggest likely problem there will again be the height. But it may be possible to scavenge the foam and covers and fit adapt them to Spit seat structure. Would it be worth the effort? Not sure...

Lotus 7 type cars are narrow, but the floor is typically dead flat, so seat fitment is easier. Plus, in the home-built cars, the builder will usually have the seats he wants to use early in the game and can build the car around those seats. Lastly, they are usually fixed-back seats, which can be easier to fit when you don't have the reclining mechanism to deal with.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 05:24 AM by IanF.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Modern foams are the key.

Beats the stuff that crumbles into what someone here described as "fruitcake vomit".

Dale M. Avatar
Tell City, Indiana, USA   USA
When I am finally ready to tackle the seats, I will re-foam and recover the original seats. Then I will have seats that I know fit and modern foam as well. Plus I do like the look of the originals. They just seem to match the car, in my opinion.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1497349 by Dale M. They just seem to match the car, in my opinion.

Almost like they were designed that way. grinning smiley

I've never seen a floor pan that narrows toward the back like this.

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497352 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1497349 by Dale M. They just seem to match the car, in my opinion.

The floor pan flares out at that point to match the frame, which is tucked into the center tunnel. It starts to widen at that point to make room for the differential.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1497807 by IanF
In reply to # 1497352 by Doug in Vegas

The floor pan flares out at that point to match the frame, which is tucked into the center tunnel. It starts to widen at that point to make room for the differential.

Not many production cars used backbone chassis, the Spitfire/GT6 and Lotus Elan are 2 examples of those that did:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?p=lotus+elan+chassis+images&fr=yfp-t&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Frdent.com%2Fmanuals%2Fplus2%2Fchassis%2FAA.gif#id=3&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.philseed.com%2Ffiles%2Fimages%2Flotus-elan-chassis.jpg&action=click

Actually, the Spitfire/GT6 are hybrid structures, the steel body shell with it's torque boxes at the sills contributes substantial torsional and bending stiffness.
The Lotus fiberglass body structure, not so much, but the Lotus backbone features much deeper beams and does not require the body for stiffness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 04:27 PM by clshore.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Keep in mind the Spitfire was designed to use an existing frame from a car that sat higher and had a back seat.

That frame curve was under a floor that was above the frame, not slung below it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-14 03:29 PM by Doug in Vegas.

clshore Carter Shore
Major elements from the Herald line were repurposed: the driveline, rack, suspension, etc.
But the Spitfire frame was model specific.
You will find few common parts between the two frames.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster