AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Paul D Smith Avatar
Paul D Smith Paul S
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
Will these fit in my 79 Spit?
Does not say what year Mini the seats came out of.

Here is a link to the photos of the seats.
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/d/mini-cooper-seats/6373946634.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 02:55 PM by Paul D Smith.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Paul, I too looked at the Mini seats and wondered.
Let me know if you find out, the TR6 took 21 inches, but the Spit6 is in the 18 to 19 inch range. A little fitment can be arranged. LOL

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
I have a 2006 MINI and can pretty much guarantee you - no. They are significantly larger than Miata seats, which barely fit.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Might be nice to include an image. When the add goes down people will at least still see what you were talking about.

Here it is....

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Attachments:
Mini Seats.jpg    22.6 KB
Mini Seats.jpg

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
On my 78 the seats are staggered so the hood frame and seatbelt will clear.

This became even more obvious when I put in seats from a Miata.

Dale M. Avatar
Tell City, Indiana, USA   USA
There’s a set of 75 seats on the Cincinnati craigslist
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/d/1975-triumph-spitfire-parts/6363373184.html

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
The critical dimension is width, not the seats themselves, but the width of the tracks/supports underneath.
The Spitfire floor pan is really narrow, and you cannot move the outer sill or the inner driveshaft tunnel.
Making an adaptor is no good, because that raises the seats too high, you would be peering over the top
of the windscreen, and your head couldn't clear with the top up when it rains.

Paul D Smith Avatar
Paul D Smith Paul S
Aiken, SC, USA   USA
Manana, was there a problem with the link I provided in my original post?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 08:51 AM by Paul D Smith.

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496896 by Paul D Smith Manana, was there a problem with the link I provided in my original post?

No - I think he just wanted to keep a record of the type of MINI seats being discussed after the ad gets deleted. "Mini" (lower case) generally means "Classic Mini" in British Car circles. "MINI" (all upper case) indicates the later, BMW-owned/built cars.

Height would definitely be a concern as well as shoulder width for top clearance.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 09:16 AM by IanF.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Yeah, Ian got it. I did send Paul a PM, but really should have posted here.

This is a pretty common topic and one that will come up again, and one that I'm also interested in.

Nice to have an image when the add goes down, especially for those of us who use the search function and find these threads years later.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

mykeeb33 Avatar
mykeeb33 Silver Member Mike Bostwick
Puyallup, Washington, USA   USA
Has anyone found a better fitting replacement seat them the Miata seat? Are the earlier Miata seats smaller them the later model?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496969 by mykeeb33 Has anyone found a better fitting replacement seat them the Miata seat? Are the earlier Miata seats smaller them the later model?

With all the smaller cars on the market you would think a trip to the junkyard could yield some winners.

Later models have heavy seat rails with integrated set belt mounts that require trimming to fit in the well and tunnel.

I'm considering a massive revamp of mine with selective cuts and welds to fasten the stock racks to the bottoms of the Miata seats including the use of the tilt forward feature.

Everyone assumes I will slash my wrists in the attempt.

weasel atty Mike Whittaker
San Diego, CA, USA   USA
PRP Roadster seats are 19 inches wide. I haven’t tried them yet, but they are the smallest seats I know of.

'68 Mk3; '66 Mustang Coupe; '70 Suzuki TC120; '71 Mustang Coupe

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496969 by mykeeb33 Has anyone found a better fitting replacement seat them the Miata seat? Are the earlier Miata seats smaller them the later model?

So far, not really. It hasn't gotten better with airbags getting integrated into the seats (which these MINI seats would have, BTW).

I did see a fellow on a Facebook group fit a set of BMW Z3 seats into his GT6, but he went a different route - instead of trying to fit the entire seat into the car, he adapted the cushions and covers to the GT6 seat frames. A bit of a "duh... why didn't I think of that?" moment. The installation looked really clean.

Dale M. Avatar
Tell City, Indiana, USA   USA
Has anyone checked the fit of seats from a smart42 car? That’s definitely a smaller car. Not sure how wide or tall the seats are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 11:25 AM by Dale M..

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster