Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Well after many hours of metal work and a lot of trial fitting and trimming I have my front chin spoiler fitted to my GT6. Since all work is on a tight budget I think it cost me around $60 in materials, but in terms of hours .............priceless. All I can say is you have to love what you are doing. Anyway I achieved what I set out to do, as I have not seen anything else on the market for a front spoiler for a round tail. If you like what you see, go read my Nov entry on the journal where there is ton more details and photos of the work. However these photos do not show a plastic bead edging that I purchased to go between body apron and chin spoiler, not shown fitted.
Regards,
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 01:52 PM by 69gt6stopp.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Front Spoiler.JPG    32 KB
Front Spoiler.JPG

Chin Spoiler Fitted.JPG    32.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Finished look.JPG    29.8 KB
Chin Spoiler End.JPG    30.8 KB
dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, New York, USA   USA
Spectacular work, worth the priceless tag.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Looks great! I would like to make a splitter for my Spit, but would probably forget about it and crunch it the first day on the road.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
Very nice. Hope you will post some photos from further back when you have it back on it's wheels. I presume the center opening is for an oil cooler?

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Well done. Looks like it clears those concrete curb stops.

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
Nice job. Looks strong enough to double as a snow plow as well.

mike h

GottaSpit Avatar
GottaSpit Duncan A
Folsom, California, USA   USA
Very nice! I would love to have one of those but unfortunately do not have the skills, tools or time. (I do have $60 though!) I found a spoiler online but yours is way cooler.

http://spitfireoptions.com/detail-e.html

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Very nice!

I can appreciate how much work went into that smileys with beer

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
When I was racing a 65 Spitfire, we had to build a chin spoiler.
There were fiberglass ones available back then, but too expensive.
I had access to machine tools and sheet metal fabrication tools for free.
Ours was just a piece of curved flat aluminum sheet, 90 degrees down from the top of the body apron, no fancy compound curvature.
The bottom edge was reinforced with a curved piece, and featured a 'sacrificial' rubber lip that could be replaced.
We had to use reinforcing struts from the bottom edge to the frame to prevent buckling, there was a lot of force generated at speed.

Yours is very nicely done, lot's of work and attention to details there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-09 08:05 AM by clshore.

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
Looks great! I believe, in theory, it should draw more air through the radiator and heat away from the car. Let us know if you see any difference.

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Thank you for all the kind words, yes the air scoop is primarily for the bottom of the rad, only time will tell if this is effective or not. I do have the material there to make the opening bigger, but did not want the bottom edge to become too flimsy. No there is not an oil cooler fitted at present, but the plumbing fittings are there, should I feel necessary to fit one at a later date. I hope that there is still sufficient ground clearance that I will not hit any of those annoying concrete parking curbs.
As for the snow clearing, I do not think this will be a winter driven car. I was also aware of the fiberglass affair being available, but the appearance did not appeal to me. Anyway I saved some needy cash by doing my own thing. I have seen some other racing affairs (see pic), but this was not my intent, just a happy medium that blends in with the front of the car.
Regards,
Paul

Attachments:
Triumph GT6 010.jpg    36.6 KB
Triumph GT6 010.jpg

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
I'd love to make a very similar spoiler for mine.

How did you attach the thing so it doesn't bend and flap around at high speed?

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Hi Brad,
Go to my Nov. journal site and you will see more details of brackets and attachments in the part 1 & 2 that I have written.
Regards,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496926 by 69gt6stopp I hope that there is still sufficient ground clearance that I will not hit any of those annoying concrete parking curbs.

If the front plate clears and you stay at that line (which is what it looks like you did) you should be fine.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
You must learn not to park too close.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster