AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
In reply to # 1497247 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1497108 by regnaston
In reply to # 1497086 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1497046 by regnaston Is this the original type of headlight switch that would have been in the 65 Spitfire ?

This one doesn't work and I want one like it

Dale,
No not an original Lucas switch, That one looks pretty generic. So you might match it at your FLAPS.
All the best,
Paul

Thanks Paul

So that raises another question ... on the Spitfire where is the high beam switch normally? There is no floor button in mine ..did they use another system?
Dale,
To follow up on George's post, If you don't have the foot dimmer switch you should at least have the bracket for it where you might rest your left foot when it isn't on the clutch pedal. Then again, the vagaries of rust and rust repair may have removed it sometime in the past..
Another sign of it is the wiring for it. A set of three heavy wires in a branch of the harness. Solid blue, blue/red, and blue/white. They originally had 1/4" quick disconnect (spade) connectors on them.
All the best,
Paul

thanks guys

I think the wiring may have been gutted out of the car (I will verify tomorrow) I had a bunch of wiring with ends in various bags in the trunk of the car.

I might have to figure a way to rewire in the dimmer switch if that is the case

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
They moved the switch up to the steering column on the Mk3 but the earlier cars were on the floor.
Dan

regnaston Dale Sanger
I assume these are probably GT6 side windows

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20171109_0819270.jpg    37.3 KB
IMG_20171109_0819270.jpg

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497380 by regnaston I assume these are probably GT6 side windows

GT6 front door ventilator assemblies

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Ok, three new ones. I think the notes on the photos tell my story.
Dan

Attachments:
IMG_0518.JPG    33.4 KB
IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG    22.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0523.JPG    26.7 KB
regnaston Dale Sanger
Can anyone help identify what model of Spitfire this is off of

Attachments:
IMG_20171116_0930114.jpg    38.4 KB
IMG_20171116_0930114.jpg

IMG_20171116_0930163.jpg    31.3 KB
IMG_20171116_0930329.jpg    41.7 KB
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
Looks like a generic round-tail unit. Probably actually for a Mk3.
Dan

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498159 by Yellowhawk Valley Looks like a generic round-tail unit. Probably actually for a Mk3.
Dan

No, Mk2 or Spitfire4 with those B- post attachments.

Valuable item....hope you can find the headliner bows.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-16 09:29 AM by grubscrew.

regnaston Dale Sanger
In reply to # 1498162 by grubscrew
In reply to # 1498159 by Yellowhawk Valley Looks like a generic round-tail unit. Probably actually for a Mk3.
Dan

I assume by "B post attachments" you mean the nipples at the sides that go into somewhere on the body

Mine does not have anywhere for them to go but that could be because they were removed my PO or someone before him

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
They're not hard to make, and just bolt to the B-post right behind the seats.

'S all for now
Vic

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1498166 by regnaston
Dan

I assume by "B post attachments" you mean the nipples at the sides that go into somewhere on the body

Mine does not have anywhere for them to go but that could be because they were removed my PO or someone before him

Yes, your car is supposed to have a fitting on the body that looks like a piece of pipe, open end facing up. The pieces that are on the hard top will slot down into the open pipe ends. Obviously been removed by a PO.

By the way, your convertible top frame is supposed to be the non-folding type. Like the hard top, the convertible top frame also slots down into the open pipe ends. To remove the convertible top, you first remove the vinyl, fold it, and stow it in the boot. You then remove the frame pieces and also place them in the boot. Kind of inconvenient when you get caught in a sudden downpour with the top down....try putting the top in place under duress like that!

The folding convertible top frame, which remains in place along with the vinyl when retracted, came along when the Mk3 came out. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to fit a Mk3 top frame to your Mk2 car.

Your Mk2 hardtop is quite valuable with good glass. The Mk2 brackets alone are unicorns and valuable. All the seals as well as the headliner are readily available from the usual suspects. The bows for the headliner are not reproduced, so they are scarce.

As Vic said, you can modify the B post area to accommodate the hard top attachments that you have, or you can remove the Mk2 brackets from the hard top and get the later attachments without too much difficulty.

I don't know how much luck you'd have finding the Mk2 convertible top frame. Again, not reproduced by anyone as far as I know.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1498176 by grubscrew
Dan

Yes, your car is supposed to have a fitting on the body that looks like a piece of pipe, open end facing up. The pieces that are on the hard top will slot down into the open pipe ends. Obviously been removed by a PO.

By the way, your convertible top frame is supposed to be the non-folding type. Like the hard top, the convertible top frame also slots down into the open pipe ends. To remove the convertible top, you first remove the vinyl, fold it, and stow it in the boot. You then remove the frame pieces and also place them in the boot. Kind of inconvenient when you get caught in a sudden downpour with the top down....try putting the top in place under duress like that!

The folding convertible top frame, which remains in place along with the vinyl when retracted, came along when the Mk3 came out. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to fit a Mk3 top frame to your Mk2 car.

Your Mk2 hardtop is quite valuable with good glass. The Mk2 brackets alone are unicorns and valuable. All the seals as well as the headliner are readily available from the usual suspects. The bows for the headliner are not reproduced, so they are scarce.

As Vic said, you can modify the B post area to accommodate the hard top attachments that you have, or you can remove the Mk2 brackets from the hard top and get the later attachments without too much difficulty.

I don't know how much luck you'd have finding the Mk2 convertible top frame. Again, not reproduced by anyone as far as I know.
Dave,
When a Mk1 or 2 top is stowed properly the vinyl part goes between the cockpit rear trim board and the fuel tank. That is why the top of the trim board is fastened with two Dzus fasteners instead of screws. The bottom of the panel is attached by straps with snaps. The frame does stow in the boot, and is secured in the center by a leather strap with a buckle.
All the best,
Paul

regnaston Dale Sanger
In reply to # 1498176 by grubscrew
Dan

I do have the headliner bows..

I think what I will do is wait until I install the other windshield and then place top on car to see how the fit looks. If it looks good I will use it (after painting and putting new seals and headliner in).. I will have to install the female parts (or get some fabricated and installed)

Glass in the unit looks good.. I just cleaned it off and I would say it is a 9/10 ... very clear (no fogging) and only a couple small marks (that may come out if I spend time cleaning it better, I just did a quick wipe)

regnaston Dale Sanger
out of curiosity, if I decide to sell the hard top and headliner bows, what is it worth (as a package)

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Seeing the glass is NLA, anything you want.

'S all for now
Vic

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster