AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

atjurhs Avatar
atjurhs Silver Member Todd J
Harvest, Alabama, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lolita"
hi guys,

been a while since i've been herre,been out riding my Triumph bikes, i've got a total of 8 Triumph wheels in my garage. now that it's getting cold it's time to get back to working on my 79 Spity

i can't seem to remember how to or where to initiate a search on this forum, so (1) can somebody remind me how to imitate a search, thanks! and (2) i need to ask about exhaust systems, please forgive me, i'm sure this topic has been talked about several time before..

right now i've got a DGV with "performance jets" (no i won't change to SUs so please let's not go down that road) and a Bell 4-2-1 header and i need to hook up an exhaust system. i have a "mild performance" muffler from Rimmer Bros. but it was not made for my specific 79 Spity so it hangs really low and has about 5" of clearance with the street.

i'd like to keep something fairly mild but a llittle more aggressive than the stock and not too loud, which i no longer have. for my requirements i don't think the Bell system that forks into two mufflers that Nigel sells is right for me (but i really don't know aggressive that is for certain). i could also drill out the stock and pull out some of the stuffing, monza is not for me either what is the better choice than three?

thanks for your help on this and i'll be back to upgrading my membership once i figure that out too - getting old sucks on your memory!

many thanks!

Todd

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 08:53 AM by atjurhs.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
atjurhs Avatar
Andy, what's the part number on your Magna flo, and is it loud? i don't want something too loud

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Go to the top of the page where it says Search.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
atjurhs Avatar
Dave, yea i tried that and that search link (the one with the magnifying glass and next to the red TR6) took me outside of this forum. i only want to search inside this forum.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
...and after that click Advanced Forum Search.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

atjurhs Avatar
ahhh, gotcha thanks!

what do you guys think of maybe the Bell SS system with a resonator, would that quiet it down?

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
The bell twin system is good. Just shorten the hangars a bit and it'll fit fine

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Hi Todd i will find out part number if i can its not loud it has a cool growl

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

atjurhs Avatar
Brad,

thanks for the input! i am leaning towards it, just for the simplicity of the install. would a resonator on the long tube help quiet it. i REALLY don't want something too loud

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Todd, do you have a picture of the two manifolds mounted? A drop intake doesn't fit very well with a 4-2-1 exhaust and I was wondering if you had to squish the header?

Wow! 5 inches of clearance, consider yourself lucky. I can't go anywhere there's a speed bump. I'm going to do an Andy in the spring and get it moved at my local muffler shop.

'S all for now
Vic

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
In reply to # 1496654 by atjurhs Brad,

thanks for the input! i am leaning towards it, just for the simplicity of the install. would a resonator on the long tube help quiet it. i REALLY don't want something too loud

Personally I don't think it's too loud. Bit louder than standard but not as loud and annoying as the popular monza exhaust. I like the V8-like burble it has.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
A resonator won't quiet it down, it will change the tone.
Andy's set up is a good one. I have two magna flow Universal's. However I'm going to mod it down to one.

Are you saying the the muffler are 5" inches from the road? If simple pulling them up higher causes them to hit the frame. Then you need to bend the pipes alittle.

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
Have a picture of the muffler on your car now? Is it one or two mufflers?

My old exhaust i had cut the monaz tailpipes off...keeping the ‘Y’ pipe...or most of it...and put in two thrush mufflers 7702’s then had a 15deg bend pipe after..which matches the upward curve of the rear valence. Then some fancy shmancy exhaust tips...well they were chrome. The mufflers tucked way up under the car...sounded good....although a bit on the quieter side. I have a video of it idling somehwere..

Now i have a euro stock exhaust (and love it)

atjurhs Avatar
Victor, it's a Pierce intake manifold marked 15-1952 there was absolutely no clearance problems at all

once i figure out (again getting old and forgetful sucks) i'll post a pic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 06:37 PM by atjurhs.

atjurhs Avatar
Frank, i've already pulled off the muffler, so no picture of it. although somewhere on this forum i think i posted one, i'll see if i can find the link...

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster