Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
It seems next years ABFM at PIR here in Portland has been displaced by the damn Indy racing go carts,PIR has signed a 3 year deal with Indy car,shame on you PIR all about the money I guess

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
teeka56 Avatar
teeka56 mike leisner
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Andy, I thought they changed the date, not the venue?

Mike

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I heard it has been displaced but lets hope it just a date change i dont see how a 3 day weekend can be moved but lets hope

Andy&Sherry

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Andy-Sherry Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
This is from our club meeting

Andy&Sherry

Attachments:
98B573D8-D575-403D-ADC3-49469C3FF938.jpg    57.1 KB
98B573D8-D575-403D-ADC3-49469C3FF938.jpg

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
I think I would try to get both to happen at the same time/place , car show and race . The crowds that come for the race might enjoy the LBCs , the owners of the LBCs might enjoy some indycar . PIR is a big place , I'm sure a little space can be found for a small little car show in all that space .

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
It's not such a small show though.... 800 cars usually. I'm curious to see if the vintage racers come back or bail... not many places that can hold that many cars, 25 years at the track on Labor Day weekend was a good run. I think I'm going to go up to Elma with my son and go to the winged sprint car races. Kyle.

vancouver, washington, USA   USA
Tentatively the Portland All British Field Meet has been moved to the following weekend. The big question is whether the vintage racers (SOVERN) will be there. They are a big draw and have a vital part in covering event expenses. Without them we may have to pay out of our club treasuries rather than add to our funds. No matter what, the show will probably go on. The Portland ABFM is the largest gathering of British cars on the West Coast and is most likely one of the largest in the USA. The display field will be covered by sponsor chalets during the Indy race so no room for both events. There are no other venues in the Portland area that can hold a car show of this size and also provide race facilities. The city of Portland owns the race track and goes where the money is. No concern about 40 years of tradition. PIR is a nice track but I cannot fathom that it won out over Watkins Glen. Sure would like to see a F1 race come back to the Glen.
Mike Crane
President, Portland Triumph Owner's Assn

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, Maine, USA   USA
The city has a responsibility to its tax payers to maximize the return on its assets.

As for another F1 race at Watkins Glen, and having attended every F1 race held there from 1967-76, I recall a pre-race conversation with Sir Jackie Stewart over the PA system in front of an IMSA race in the early 1990s. The subject of a F-1 return to the Glen came up and Stewart pointed out how impractical that was, simply because Watkins Glen lacked the infrastructure to handle the then-modern F-1 circus. There were not enough hotels in the area to accommodate the teams and the spectators and the roads themselves did not lend themselves to the volume of traffic they would see. Nothing has changed in the last twenty-five years with respect to the Upstate NY village, and if anything, F-1 has grown even bigger.

Back in the old days, most of the crowd consisted of us college kids (nobody will believe how low the price of admission was) and we were camping on the grounds. Cries of "Eat it Bog, eat it" and "Burn the s**t-house" abounded. As for the teams, they brought a manager and two or three mechanics. Take a look at today's F-1 races and you see a veritable army of support people sitting in rows of chairs watching TV monitors waiting to spring into action. It is questionable if any one of the Glen's lodging facilities could accommodate even one team!

Attachments:
IMG_0017.jpg    57 KB
IMG_0017.jpg

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497506 by mike crane Tentatively the Portland All British Field Meet has been moved to the following weekend. The big question is whether the vintage racers (SOVERN) will be there. They are a big draw and have a vital part in covering event expenses. Without them we may have to pay out of our club treasuries rather than add to our funds. No matter what, the show will probably go on. The Portland ABFM is the largest gathering of British cars on the West Coast and is most likely one of the largest in the USA. The display field will be covered by sponsor chalets during the Indy race so no room for both events. There are no other venues in the Portland area that can hold a car show of this size and also provide race facilities. The city of Portland owns the race track and goes where the money is. No concern about 40 years of tradition. PIR is a nice track but I cannot fathom that it won out over Watkins Glen. Sure would like to see a F1 race come back to the Glen.
Mike Crane
President, Portland Triumph Owner's Assn

I'm sorry to hear Portland ABFM was displaced, I hope you guys are able to maintain a good show, with out taking too much of a hit. It really is a shame that F1 chose Portland over Watkins Glen, the Glen is a much more interesting course and the region could use the cash boost that F1 would have brought. The area is so economically depressed that you can literally buy 7-10 houses for what a cheap house out here on the west coast costs.

Smithisretired Avatar
Wells, Maine, USA   USA
The Glen can and has handled Indy Car, simply because the crowd size for Indy Car has been about 50%-60% of the Glen's physical capacity, and the teams are much smaller than a Formula One team.

F-1 crowds in the late 1960s into the 1970s numbered about 100,000-105,000. The total purse for the first F-1 race I saw was $50,000, or about fifty-cents per spectator. That was the total purse. Then the costs started to rise and the ticket prices could not rise fast enough, until the track went bankrupt. The last Indy Car race I saw at the Glen, about 12 years ago, numbered something like 60,000. The Glen stepped in and took the place of the failed Boston race this year and, while figures have not been provided, attendance has been described as "paltry" with the result that Indy Car has decided that PIR is a more attractive venue for next year.

Attachments:
IMG_0061.jpg    53.2 KB
IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg    47.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Andy-Sherry Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Im surprised they want the indy go carts here i wasnt aware of a huge following up here
Good luck i hope it rains on them

Andy&Sherry

vancouver, washington, USA   USA
Mike S
Thank you for enlightening me on Watkins Glen. I didn't realize how obsolete it had become. As a college kid back in the sixties I dreamed of going to see any race at that beautiful track. I have heard that a lot of racers like PIR but it has such an industrial feel with nothing but cottonwoods for greenery. You are right that the city has a fiscal responsibility but still it hurts a bit.
Mike C

Smithisretired Avatar
Wells, Maine, USA   USA
In case anyone did not notice, the "dinner table" in post #8 is the Matra team's spare Simca 12-cylinder engine...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 03:16 PM by Smithisretired.

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497469 by twomanytriumphs It's not such a small show though.... 800 cars usually. I'm curious to see if the vintage racers come back or bail... not many places that can hold that many cars, 25 years at the track on Labor Day weekend was a good run. I think I'm going to go up to Elma with my son and go to the winged sprint car races. Kyle.

"268
Size of PIR in acres"

"THE ENTIRE PIR FACILITY
Including the road course or drag strip, two 250,000 square foot paved paddocks, two towers (including rooms for up to about 25 people for classroom presentations) and on-site parking for around 3,000 vehicles.

RACING. IT'S NOT JUST FOR CARS AND MOTORCYCLES.
PIR has become a popular venue for bicycle racing and foot races, using both the 2-mile flat and fast road course, or in combination with exterior roads for a longer lap. It has also been the site for corporate events and fund-raisers all set in an exciting, unique environment.

SOUTH PADDOCK AND "BEACHES" AREA
This blacktop area is ideal for cone or slalom/autocross driving and cycling events. The adjacent 6-acre grassy "Beaches" area is a sunny spot surrounded by trees that's perfect for a cruise in, company picnic or anything that requires a large area with an outdoorsy feel.

ROAD COURSE AND NORTH PADDOCK
Looking to hold a corporate team-building event or a car club day picnic? This is the option for you. The North Paddock is where the major races set up shop and ready their vehicles but it's all yours for a day of racing excitement.

DRAG STRIP
Bring your group and your cars out to Late Night Drags on a Friday or Saturday night. We can arrange to have "grudge" matches where you can race against each other for bragging rights. Several groups have combined this type of event as a company, family or friends outing for a truly memorable "day/night at the track."

THINK OUT OF THE BOX
Our two 6-acre "Broadacre" grassy fields outside the front gate can be used in a variety of ways. In the past we have held RV sales events, kite competitions, obstacle courses and even a Haunted Village for Halloween. Whatever you can imagine we can help you to bring to life."

Smithisretired Avatar
Wells, Maine, USA   USA
"The area is so economically depressed that you can literally buy 7-10 houses for what a cheap house out here on the west coast costs."

Actually, that part of Upstate NY is fairly thriving, with a strong tourism business (Watkins Glen does host some major races including NASCAR, IMSA, SCCA Nationals and SVRA). Seneca County, between the Seneca and Cayuga Lakes, is know for its wine production, and some of the state's best agriculture is found there. Much of the economy is stabilized by major colleges and universities. The front gate to the Watkins Glen Grand Prix course was exactly 29.2 miles from my residence at Cornell. The fact that housing prices are sensible does not necessarily mean that the economy is weak. Having said that, there is no question that all of New York state faces severe economic problems related to decades of Albany's tax-and-spend mentality that has put all New Yorkers among the most-taxed population in the country.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-13 02:00 PM by Smithisretired.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster