True Spark Distributor Question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Morgan Hill, California, USA   USA
It appears my 75 Spitfire has a new True Spark Distributor installed but not hooked up. Unfortunately no instructions or information came with the cars paperwork. I was hoping someone could shed some light on this system and how to wire it up properly. Also are they any good? I could not find any information on the internet.
Thanks!
Geoff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
41427E.jpg    16.8 KB
41427E.jpg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Disconnect battery, red to plus side of coil and black to negative side, that's it. Make sure you have 12 volt coil and no ballast.

'S all for now
Vic

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Geoff,
If you find that you do have a ballast in the coil supply you can hook the red wire to any ignition switch controlled wire (white) instead of the coil positive.
Your car is the right age to possibly have a white wire abandoned near the distributor waiting to be used.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Thanks! It's a new coil and I do not see any ballast hooked up.

Regards,
Geoff

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Thanks!

Geoff

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
A Pink and White wire will be a resistance wire, if you see one connected to the coil + terminal. beware.

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496661 by 70tbolt Thanks! It's a new coil and I do not see any ballast hooked up.
Regards,
Geoff

no pink with white stripe wire to the coil positive along with a white with yellow stripe wire from the starter solenoid ?
you have tested voltage with a meter?

Is it possible the diagram is wrong, and the ballast pink/white is actually connected at the starter solenoid like later diagrams show, not to the coil itself?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 10:42 AM by colodad.

Attachments:
75 diagram Omalley Federal with wire colour notes.jpg    73.1 KB
75 diagram Omalley Federal with wire colour notes.jpg

70tbolt Geoff Ullmann
Thanks!
No pink white wire in sight anywhere. Has a new starter motor from BritishStarters (which I am still trying to figure out) and it is not connected yet. Have not checked for voltage yet as all things are not hooked up.

Geoff

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Triumph GT6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links