TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Installing new carpet, heatshield & panels - best adhesive to use?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Silver Bullet"
Hello Triumph Group,

I am working my way through the start of interior renovations and my new moulded carpet just arrived. I also received my panels (doors, boot area behind seats and wheel well cover panels). Several questions related to this upcoming work and appreciate any help you can give:

HEAT SHIELD:

1. Does anyone know if adhesive should be used before laying down rolled heat shield?

2. Locations to apply heat shield - Based upon other recommendations, I am planning on putting heat shielding in front of foot area/pedals and along transmission tunnel. Thoughts on applying to other areas?

3. The original heat shielding is present, so I lay down the new heat shield over this, or tear out the old and just put in the new? (The old shielding in front of the gear shift is moulded to fit very specifically, and I'm not sure if my new rolled heat shield will fit as good, hence the thought of leaving on the original stuff and putting the new stuff over it.)

CARPET:

1. Should I use an adhesive/glue to secure the moulded carpet to the floor, or do I just rely upon the floor bolts (for seats, etc) to do the trick?

2. Do you advise using a pad under the carpet, to give the floor a "softer feel"?

3. Is there a special cover/plug for the drain holes I see in the back area of the seat wells, or do I just leave that open, with nothing but the floor carpet covering it? (Seems like it should be covered, to keep out road grime, water, etc?)

WHEEL WELL PANEL:

1. I see that the rear cockpit panel has chrome screws on the top to secure it to the body (and snaps on the bottom), and the door panels have clips, but what about the panels that cover the wheel wells? Are those glued down with adhesive?

2. I have the roll bar for the cockpit and am looking at how it will be bolted to the frame. I'm assuming that I bolt the rear roll bar posts onto the wheel wells OVER the wheel well panels (by creating a hole in the wheel well panel for each bolt, and then bolting on the roll bar post on top of the panel). Do I have that right? Same question regarding the bolting down of the roll bar posts that attach to the floor behind the seats - do those get bolted on OVER the carpet?

Thanks very much for all of your help, it is much appreciated!

Matt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
67 Spitfire - Interior before renovations.jpeg    51.6 KB
67 Spitfire - Interior before renovations.jpeg

67 Spitfire - heat shield pad.jpeg    30.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
67 Spitfire - driver rear boot.jpeg    39.6 KB
67 Spitfire - Transmission tunnel.jpeg    60.6 KB
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
If the roll bar is just for show then bolt to wheel well is ok it will not be a safety feature though

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Adhesive on vertical sections only.

Rubber plugs for all holes.

Rear wheel areas are glued vinyl.

PS- are you sure you're finished with all tranny and shifter rebuild work?

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
The inside of the transmission cover was insulated with plastic bags of rockwool.

IMHO the biggest sound and heat insulation differance you could make is to remove it, and apply dynomat or other product to the inside of the cover.

As noted, address the gear selector bushings if you have not already done so while the cover is off. You may also want to inspect of replace the pesky clutch release fulcrum pin!

Do not glue any more carpet than you have to. The day may come when you get cought in a downpour and want to remove it to dry. Velcro tabs will help.

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Thank you!

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
I used this stuff on my reflective insulation for the floor panels and over the tunnel.

You can shift it before it dries which makes pressing it into place easy and you can peal it off after it dries with minimal effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 11:23 AM by Doug in Vegas.

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Really appreciate the help and especially the heads up on what to address in tranny and gearshift while the car is pulled apart.

Minimal glue looks key on the carpet, and will follow that recommendation.

Tony - appreciate the heads up on keeping the original tranny heat shield form, and just lining underneath with heatshield. whew,..was going to just tear that thing off. Thanks very much!

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
I have some of that in my garage,..thanks for that tip. Will really help!

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
I am scratching my head about that 'original foam' I have never seen it on my cars, just carpet over cardboard.

I suspect a PO put it there.

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, New York, USA   USA
I second Grubscrew's query about "PS- are you sure you're finished with all tranny and shifter rebuild work?" Consider an ABS replacement, insulate the snot out of it inside and out, and cut access ports on both sides to make it easier to get at your clutch slave cylinder, speedometer cable and transmission oil plug. If you don't do this ahead of time the general maintenance time is lengthened considerably because you have to pull the center radio tower and some of the fascia trim to get the tunnel out.

Attachments:
IMG_2528.JPG    50 KB
IMG_2528.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG    58.1 KB
IMG_6948.JPG    53.3 KB
IMG_6951.JPG    63.6 KB
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1496712 by Tonyfixit I am scratching my head about that 'original foam' I have never seen it on my cars, just carpet over cardboard.

I suspect a PO put it there.

No doubt. The original was wool over horsehair.

Smelled like sex to the folks towards Norwich.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
In reply to # 1496575 by Matts67spit

3. The original heat shielding is present, so I lay down the new heat shield over this, or tear out the old and just put in the new? (The old shielding in front of the gear shift is moulded to fit very specifically, and I'm not sure if my new rolled heat shield will fit as good, hence the thought of leaving on the original stuff and putting the new stuff over it.)
Maybe you're already aware of this but your wording has me wondering... That cardboard form around the transmission IS the transmission tunnel. Not just a heat shield

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Good catch JP!

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Wow, thank you dvcasano and others. Your insulation is fantastic and I will be sure to follow your lead on that. Really appreciate your help!

Matt

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster