Stromberg rebuild kits ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
We will need to rebuild our pair of Strombergs. I checked at Canleys and a lot of the parts on their carb page was shown as " No longer available " . Is this going to be a common problem with these carbs ? Is there a place I can find kits for these ?

Home of the 1968 GT6+ MK II resurrection project

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
tomster Avatar
tomster Tom Dunbar
Annapolis, Maryland, USA   USA
John,

It looks to me like Moss Motors has rebuild kits for the Strombergs.

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, Connecticut, USA   USA
Check out http://zenithcarb.co.uk/?SID=vgal8gero0o78cro5rrducnd41&___store=zenith

Burlen are the company that now owns the SU and Zenith brands, more is available than you might think when you look at most parts suppliers.

If you do place an order, make sure you add their reference catalogue. It's free, you just pay the additional postage. It's a very useful reference work for these carbs.

Support is perhaps better for the SU carbs, but all is by no means lost for the Strombergs.

No connection other than satisfied customer.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Outfect Avatar
Outfect Dave B
La Sal, Utah, USA   USA
1940 Ford N Series Tractors "Henry"
1951 Other Not Listed "SnowMan"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "White October"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Tangerine Dream"
John,

Outside of linkages almost all parts are available for Zenith Stromberg if
you know where to look. Your GT6+ should have ZS150CDSE carbs. Probably
with non-adjustable jets.

Try Joe Curto's British SUperior brand made in NY.

www.joecurto.com

Part #5365. You will also need the bypass valve kits which are sold separate. #BP-014

You can get the factory ZS kits from Burlen LTD in the UK but they are expensive and take 3 weeks to
show up. They are CDSK7 and you also need the bypass kits.

Royze in California makes decent kits. ZE-14 and also need the bypass kits.

DaveInUtah

Attachments:
ContentImage-13814-262323-bp014aa.jpg    23.1 KB
ContentImage-13814-262323-bp014aa.jpg

ContentImage-13814-263234-5365.jpg    66.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
JohnW63 John Williamson
Thanks for the resources and info. I was wondering if the GT6 used the 150 model. I asked my Dad to check them out, but haven't heard back.

JohnW63 John Williamson
How do you identify the carbs ? Mine do say Stromberg and CD on the top, but where do you find the rest of the model info ? Yes, I have pictures.

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
There should be a brass tag on one of the 4 screws on the diaphragm cover. It'll have a 4 digit model number.

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, Connecticut, USA   USA
If there is no brass tag on either of your carburetters the next step could be to remove the air piston and examine the metering needle. At the top of the needle there will be an identifying mark. Assuming a previous owner hasn't played around this should be sufficient to work out exactly what carburetters you have.

That said, there wasn't a lot of variation in the CDSE carburetters fitted to the GT6. The Burlen reference catalogue shows them all using the same gasket pack (GP245) and the same service kit (CDSK7, as Dave from Utah has noted). There are two part numbers for a rebuild kit, CDRK8 and CDRK80. You might need to look at either the brass tag or the needle to determine which of those you need.

But whether you need a rebuild kit at all is perhaps the question to answer. Burlen offers gasket packs (which are what you would imagine), service packs and rebuild kits. The rebuild kit is quite comprehensive and includes new throttle discs and spindles. The service kit is more or less what is in the two photographs Dave posted, apart from the diaphragm which would be a separate part number.

Other suppliers as Dave said can provide what you need, I've quoted from the Burlen catalogue because it's what I have to hand, and their service has been very good. My order arrived within a week though of course that could vary significantly depending on things like customs clearance.

There is a very good document on the Burlen site for the CDSE carburetter at http://zenithcarb.co.uk/zencdsecd2/?___store=zenith

Without knowing what exactly is wrong with the carburetters it's hard to go much further.

JohnW63 John Williamson
The carbs are attached to the intake and have been in a box with other parts for who knows how long and look rather nasty. Better to just rebuild them now, than find out they need it when we try to start the car, a year from now.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster