TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Suspension kits: Go with stock or Poly bushings ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I've been trying to source a complete suspension rebuild kit for both front and back of our project GT6. For some reason, I find front stuff, but not rear. I'll keep looking. The choice that the places I have found give the choice of poly vs standard bushings. Of course the poly costs more. I don't want a rock hard drive down the road, but I don't want a mushy handling car either. Are the poly kits worth the price ? Do they make the car too hard for a driver, nor a racer ?

Here is Spitbits page on the product:
http://www.spitbits.com/store/Suspension-Kits-Shock-Absorber-Kits-C56.aspx

If you know where I can find a rear suspension kit, rather than needing to select all the parts individually, let me know.

Home of the 1968 GT6+ MK II resurrection project

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I'm a firm believer in trying to attain that new car feel.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
And which type would do that for you ?

Home of the 1968 GT6+ MK II resurrection project

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Obviously stock.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In this instance, "poly" is about as useful and descriptive a term as "oil"! There are "grades" of poly bushing that range from softer than original rubber bushings right up to "close to solid bronze"! winking smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
I started rebuilding my front suspension and tried poly bushes from two different vendors and none of them fit properly. Maybe it was my upper and lower links but I doubt it since it was the same for all pieces. Since I just drive on local roads and don't race around I decided on stock rubber bushes and they all fit perfectly. I'm sure others out here had similar problems and many had no problems. The one and only problem I had with rubber is they sent me the wrong parts.

Scott69GT6 Avatar
Scott69GT6 Silver Member Scott D
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
The poly bushes I got from British Parts Norrhwest for the rear wishbones were sooooo much simpler and easy to install than the multi part original ones I figured it was a no brainer. Whether it makes a difference to the handling I'll never know, because the old ones were so far gone when I got the car.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Ideally the rack should float in it's mount to absorb vibration while maintaining track.

Some experienced track types like the stiffer polys while daily drivers note the ride seems "rougher".

tightapex Avatar
tightapex Greg Bailey
Gilroy, California, USA   USA
The previous owner installed poly bushings on my car and it's a fairly nervous machine on uneven roads. The steering wheel is a quivering beast on some turns. I'd be inclined to stick with stock rubber. Believe me, you'll still get plenty of road feel.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1496594 by tightapex The previous owner installed poly bushings on my car and it's a fairly nervous machine on uneven roads. The steering wheel is a quivering beast on some turns. I'd be inclined to stick with stock rubber. Believe me, you'll still get plenty of road feel.

Did the polys seem loose?

mykeeb33 Avatar
mykeeb33 Silver Member Mike Bostwick
Puyallup, Washington, USA   USA
I'm doing some work on mine. My opinion is rubber bushings are more than adequate for normal road driving.

atjurhs Avatar
atjurhs Silver Member Todd J
Harvest, Alabama, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lolita"
stock, no question about that! a friend's Spity had the poly and the ride was harsh. he's switching back to the stock

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
"With new rubber bushings on a Spit/GT6, you can run over a dime and tell if it's heads or tails."

The metalastic rubber bushings on our cars will allow up about 0.050" lateral deflection under max loading.
Meanwhile, the tire sidewalls will allow up to 1/2" of lateral compliance under the same conditions.

Any questions?

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496655 by clshore "With new rubber bushings on a Spit/GT6, you can run over a dime and tell if it's heads or tails."

The metalastic rubber bushings on our cars will allow up about 0.050" lateral deflection under max loading.
Meanwhile, the tire sidewalls will allow up to 1/2" of lateral compliance under the same conditions.

Any questions?

Yup it's those 80/70 profile tires....just stand on the side of your car and push it sideways, while looking at the tires. You'll be amazed at how much roll you can create with little effort.

dvcasano Avatar
dvcasano Platinum Member David Casano
Amsterdam, New York, USA   USA
I went with a total poly bushing replacement thinking early on in my restoration that poly was better than rubber. Not better but different. If I had it to do over again I would use rubber bushing all around. With the poly bushing my ride is much stiffer and far more sensitive, to the point of jarring, than with the rubber. The longest trips I take are at maximum (100 mile AAA limit) 200 miles and avoid toll roads and major highways whenever possible. It was so stiff I had to change my tire pressure to make the ride more comfortable. Thinking back on my decision, I should have realized that 40 years of life out of OEM rubber bushing, rubber replacements would have certainly out lasted this 70 year old.

My vote is for rubber bushings unless you are going to compete with your car.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster