Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, Montana, USA   USA
man, I'm glad I'm not the only one rocking the Harbor Freight special... I'm a cheap a$$ so I make do, none the wiser really. tried my dad's Lincoln and couldn't get even close to as good as I am with my HF unit, but my dad's unit could be messed up or maybe I don't know how to set it up.

what I'd tell you for sure though, find a metal recycle yard to buy scrap sheet metal to play with. and play A LOT!!! get your setting right, get your lay ups right. practice practice practice

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
time2triumph Avatar
time2triumph Norm W
Cache Valley, utah, USA   USA
Stick welders are a whole different animal. No wire feed motors, gas valves, wire speeds etc.. I've used cheap stick welders that worked great.

In reply to # 1496705 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1496672 by carChips
In reply to # 1496606 by time2triumph I bought a used miller 135 with cart, bottle, helmet and all kinds of goodies for $500 out of the local classifieds. If you have no experience than definitely don't buy a cheap one. they don't weld like crap and can be a bit de-motivating for the newbie. JMHO.

No, no. Borrow a cheap ass splatter box (flux core wire) to try first, after that you'll be able to make any welder work.

And here I am with my HF stick welder.

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
I don't think you can go wrong with a Miller, Hobart or Lincoln welder. My personal experience with the inexpensive no-names units has been poor.

I personally have a Hobart 130, that I have had for close to 15 years and have restored 3 cars using it, including frame repairs.

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496864 by time2triumph
In reply to # 1496705 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1496672 by carChips
In reply to # 1496606 by time2triumph I bought a used miller 135 with cart, bottle, helmet and all kinds of goodies for $500 out of the local classifieds. If you have no experience than definitely don't buy a cheap one. they don't weld like crap and can be a bit de-motivating for the newbie. JMHO.

No, no. Borrow a cheap ass splatter box (flux core wire) to try first, after that you'll be able to make any welder work.

And here I am with my HF stick welder.
Stick welders are a whole different animal. No wire feed motors, gas valves, wire speeds etc.. I've used cheap stick welders that worked great.

I like mine. (...once I learned how to work a puddle so it wouldn't spatter in my face.)

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
I can't offer any recommendation for Manufacturer or Supplier, but I will give two thumbs up to gas. Definitely get a MiG with Argon/CO2 gas. I'm just a welding hack, but the gas made a huge difference in the quality of my molten messes.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links