Spitfire & GT6 Forum

MIG Welder

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vancouver, washington, USA   USA
I am considering the purchase of a MIG welder. There is a great variation in prices, features, etc. Mainly for sheet metal repairs. As I have three TRs (read broke) , economy is an issue but functionality is also important. BTW I have very little welding experience but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.
Mike C

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Obviously look for bargains, Craigslist ect. I got a Lincoln 110v 135 for about $200, included a bottle and regulator. It needed the fan replaced but I did that myself.

Avoid the harbor freight Chicago electric welders, even though they have an excellent price point. You can find similar entry level Lincoln's at Lowe's and home Depot but at about twice that price.

Checkout YouTube channel weldingtipsandtricks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I'm with Hazen on this. My little 110v Lincoln wire unit works very well on sheet metal and even up some thicker stuff. It was a little more new but is a very good unit. The cheap ones will work like a cheap one.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Whatever you get, get one with shielding gas.

'S all for now
Vic

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
I have an older Lincoln WeldPak 100 which gives great results. Currently it's set up for flux core wire only but for less than $60 I cant get all the gas fittings, valves and regulator to set it up for MIG welding.

YouTube is your friend. Watch as many training videos as you can stand to get a good idea how to weld properly.

Scott69GT6 Avatar
Scott69GT6 Silver Member Scott D
Toronto, Ontario, Canada   CAN
A 220 amp unit will be better if you have to replace the out riggers or anything else on the frame. Sell it off when you've done all three of the cars.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496551 by mike crane BTW I have very little welding experience but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.
Mike C

Check this out:

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources

time2triumph Avatar
time2triumph Norm W
Cache Valley, utah, USA   USA
I bought a used miller 135 with cart, bottle, helmet and all kinds of goodies for $500 out of the local classifieds. If you have no experience than definitely don't buy a cheap one. they don't weld like crap and can be a bit de-motivating for the newbie. JMHO.

Iron man Avatar
Iron man David More
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand   NZL
Make sure the welder can run .6mm wire for panel repairs, For best results use shielding gas argoshield not co2. Some cheap welders have the wire hot all the time and the trigger only runs the wire feed. Get a auto darkening helmet. Better to buy a good brand second hand instead of a new cheap welder.

David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 05:54 AM by Iron man.

Attachments:
713D518F-5975-4E95-9873-0F90A5996B99.jpeg    62.8 KB
713D518F-5975-4E95-9873-0F90A5996B99.jpeg

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
If you are an old fart like most of us get a magnifier insert for the helmet - ie reading glasses. If you cant see worth a darn doesn't matter how good the welder is.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I bought a Miller Sidekick about 20 -25 years ago. Been quite happy with it. It was heavy-duty enough for frame repairs on a TR250, and it's a 110 unit.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
In reply to # 1496606 by time2triumph I bought a used miller 135 with cart, bottle, helmet and all kinds of goodies for $500 out of the local classifieds. If you have no experience than definitely don't buy a cheap one. they don't weld like crap and can be a bit de-motivating for the newbie. JMHO.

No, no. Borrow a cheap ass splatter box (flux core wire) to try first, after that you'll be able to make any welder work.

'S all for now
Vic

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I bougt a inexpensive 110v from Canadian tire about 25 years ago and it was all I needed to restore my Spitfire and much other work that did no require a heavy stick welder. I did get the gas kit though, and use Argon/CO2.

One story: A friend bought a Miller from a welding supply store as opposed to Home Depot, as he was told the 'pro welder' was better than the 'Hobby ' Miller HD they sold.
He did not use the welder much, and after about 1 hours use the wire feed motor burnt out.
However, being a pro unit, it only had a 30 day warranty (because of the heavy use the welder might get in production) the Miller at HD would have had (I think) a three year warranty.
Worse, the replacment motor cost almost as much as the HD welder!

vancouver, washington, USA   USA
Thanks to all. Very good advice. That hobby unit at Home Depot might do the trick.
Mike C

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496672 by carChips
In reply to # 1496606 by time2triumph I bought a used miller 135 with cart, bottle, helmet and all kinds of goodies for $500 out of the local classifieds. If you have no experience than definitely don't buy a cheap one. they don't weld like crap and can be a bit de-motivating for the newbie. JMHO.

No, no. Borrow a cheap ass splatter box (flux core wire) to try first, after that you'll be able to make any welder work.

And here I am with my HF stick welder.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster