Locked up motor?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496689 by Tonyfixit So you get it un-stuck. Then what?

I feel that engine is going to have to come apart regardless.
If you plan to use the motor / rebuild it then you need to unstick the motor . Its far easier to disassemble an unstuck motor .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
True, but with the crank our you can beat on the pistons individually, top and bottom.

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496782 by Tonyfixit True, but with the crank our you can beat on the pistons individually, top and bottom.
If there is a rush to get it apart , thats one thing , if there is no rush , thats another thing . I did ask if there was a rush .

In reply to # 1496665 by Lizzard Are you in a rush to get it "free" ?
If you have time , put the drive shaft back on , park it on a slope and let gravity pull on the lock up .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Hi,
All this is assuming that the pistons are stuck in the bores. That isn't the only thing that can lock an engine. I just dealt with an engine which had spun a bearing. With both shells on the same side of the crank journal and lots of debris spread around, the rods and mains both had to be undone before the crank could be turned.
All the best,
Paul

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Well, I know I'm going to get yelled at, but here it goes.

I've brought back a stuck MK1 GT6 engine by soaking the cylinders with diesel fuel for a few days and breaking it free with a big monkey wrench on the crank pulley. Once it was free to do a full revolution I didn't do anything more until I was ready to crank some oil onto the bearings. I have no doubt there "must" have been some physical damage to the cylinder walls and/or bearing surfaces, but I put the car into service anyway. I figured: "I'll pull the engine when I get symptoms, why pull it now, just because?"

As it turns out, I got over ten thousand of miles out of that engine after bringing it back to life twice from being stuck. It never failed - I just replaced it with a MK2 many years later.

Big monkey wrench. Break it free. Get it running. Check the oil pressure. Check the compression (after a while). If all's OK - just drive it.

OK guys, ... don't yell at me "too" much. drinking smiley

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497463 by scardini1 Well, I know I'm going to get yelled at, but here it goes.

OK guys, ... don't yell at me "too" much. drinking smiley
If it works , it works . If it doesn't , no big deal ,

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
You have to admit parking it on a hill in gear to break it loose invokes this....

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Now that's a good laugh!

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
It was merely amusing until the last two scenes - then it was genuinely funny! grinning smiley Thanks Doug.

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
So recently in springfield, ma. An all electric city bus refused to move. The driver radioed in, it was suggested by the shop to unplug the battery. Of course they forgot to mention he should choke the wheels. Didn't turn out to good. Once the battery was unplugged, the brakes let loose.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster