AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SCTriumphGT6 Avatar
SCTriumphGT6 Daniel Watkins
Hartsville, SC, USA   USA
Hey everyone!

I am new to the forum and I live in Hartsville, SC! I just received a 72 GT6 in a trade, but I believe the motor is locked up. I've had some Marvel Mystery Oil soaking for a few days and I have tried to turn the motor over with the crank bolt. The spark plugs are out and so is the starter. The drive shaft has been unbolted by the previous owner. I believe the transmission can go into neutral (I can reach down and turn where the shaft meets the trans. I've been rocking the bolt back and forth several times over a few days and it is not turning at all. It actually loosens the bolt when turned counter clock wise. Before I go any further, can ya'll offer any advice? I am assuming that taking the head off is my next step?

Thanks!

Daniel

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Welcome to the Forum, Daniel.

I am not a GT6 guy but Spitfires and GT6s have a lot in common and some things are just basic to most vehicles anyway.

You state that " (I can reach down and turn where the shaft meets the trans.". If that is the case then I don't think your are actually in neutral. The tailshaft should turn freely when in neutral. Being that the driveshaft has been disconnected seems that the previous owner was try to troubleshoot the lock-up problem too.

You will probably get a lot of advice on this one. My first take on it is that if it were mine, I would pull the engine and trans out and separate them. If either one is locked up they are going to need to be fixed anyway. There could be a myriad of things wrong with either the engine or the trans. I would not go and patch things up. The 72 GT6 is a nice vehicle to have and you will probably want it to run well.

Good luck,

Doug/SpitMan

SCTriumphGT6 Avatar
SCTriumphGT6 Daniel Watkins
Hartsville, SC, USA   USA
Thanks Doug!

I figured pulling everything out is the best route to go.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496536 by SCTriumphGT6 I am assuming that taking the head off is my next step?

Chalk the front pulley near the timing mark so you can see if anything you do further makes it move. Next, you might try a breaker bar on the crank.

twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, Washington, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I'd keep trying various oils in the cylinders. Next step would be pulling the head and seeing what's going on. I would hesitate to pull the engine as then the car is spread out a long ways and immobile of sorts. You may find it's easier to ask Jim (with the spit6's) if he's got an engine going spare.

Kyle.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
I just went through this with mine... it was locked up bad.. I had to undo rod caps and get the pistons out one at time.. badly corroded pistons stuck to the walls.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1496590 by tmpass I just went through this with mine... it was locked up bad.. I had to undo rod caps and get the pistons out one at time.. badly corroded pistons stuck to the walls.

Hammer handles (without the head) are good for tapping out pistons.

Vinemont, alabama, USA   USA
DON'T turn the crank bolt if the motor is really stuck.....you can only go one way, and that is NOT good.... A few days of Marvel is not enough to get to stuck spots...SeaFoam is better, but still takes time.. wait a couple weeks and do something else, like take the head off, or wax the body.... or.... pull the motor and use a large screwdriver as a lever on the flywheel ..if that does not work, no amount of pressure on the crank bolt will work,

If you rush it, you will be buying new pistons, new crank, ....or worse.

Dave Perry OldSchool Restorations of North Alabama USA

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496599 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1496590 by tmpass I just went through this with mine... it was locked up bad.. I had to undo rod caps and get the pistons out one at time.. badly corroded pistons stuck to the walls.

here an earlier thread with some pics of the pistons I had to deal with... I don't believe any amount of soaking or tapping with a hammer would have freed these up... (it took an 8lb sledge and a section of a baseball bat after weeks of soaking) hopefully Daniels aren't this bad.

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1465809

quikrx Ralph Hansen
Antioch, Illinois, USA   USA
1962 Triumph Herald 1200
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Gloria"
1987 Mazda RX-7 "Mistress"
2003 Toyota Celica GT-S "Natasha"    & more
pull the valve cover and Seafoam the cam and lifters, they might be stuck also

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
Are you in a rush to get it "free" ?
If you have time , put the drive shaft back on , park it on a slope and let gravity pull on the lock up .
If you don't have a slope you can use car repair ramps .
https://www.google.com/search?q=car+repair+ramps&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDsM_0r6_XAhUR7WMKHWXfD6EQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1366&bih=656#imgdii=79BnY0L5EMfbjM:&imgrc=4zFPNdVKHahl5M:

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
So you get it un-stuck. Then what?

I feel that engine is going to have to come apart regardless.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1496626 by tmpass

here an earlier thread with some pics of the pistons I had to deal with... I don't believe any amount of soaking or tapping with a hammer would have freed these up... (it took an 8lb sledge and a section of a baseball bat after weeks of soaking) hopefully Daniels aren't this bad.

Wow.

Did the bores look crusty too?

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496698 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1496626 by tmpass

Wow.

Did the bores look crusty too?

not too too bad, but I haven't honed them yet either to see if there are any serious rusty spots... I'm not holding high hopes

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Try a grape hone.

A few passes with that can tell you if it's pitted.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster