Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Neville, I've got a friend in the West Hartford area currently doing a full body off restoration on a 69 GT6. You are a long way south for him but is there a Triumph chapter closer to him?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
Also insurance for people my age is very high and not many can afford another car. To be honest if I didn't have the money to pay for the insurance for both my daily and my classic, I've gotta say I probably wouldn't go for the classic as much as I love it due to reliability and my lack of experience with cars.

Luckily I've got a decent job and am able to afford two cars but many people my age don't.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
I don't think it's true that younger people my age aren't into classics. I mean we don't have the nostalgia factor that the older people do as we weren't around when these cars were mainstream but we definitely reminisce about the 'proper' days of British motoring that we couldn't be a part of.

Brad Cogan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, Connecticut, USA   USA
Bpt70gt:

The Connecticut Triumph Register is the only state-specific Triumph club in New England. There used to be a club in Western MA but they folded some time ago. The only other Triumph-specific club in New England is the New England Triumph Association, but they are much further north in Maine.

CTR currently meets on the third Monday in the month at 6:30-ish at the Oasis Restaurant in Bristol, not too far from West Hartford. Our treasurer has a GT6 so your friend could pick his brains.

If you PM me with your friend's address I'll send him our newsletter, I am the club's newsletter editor.

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
I read all the post with interest.
I don't see many Brits in my area of w mass.
So Everytime I park the car. I get quite a bit of attention.
From all ages.
From the gessers(im62). I get I had one in college.
From the 30 something's I get Nice car.
From the 20 and younger I get is fast, no. Is it expensive, no.i always tell them they can get one cheap. It's the part about the manual tranny, no power steering or brakes, and the fact that they may have repair it that gets them.

All of those things I think could be over come by a ride in the car or for the more adventurous at the wheel. Better get that kill switch hooked up. The no power brakes and steering as well as the manual are problems with any car, without the truly modern stuff.

So maybe not just a car show, but a gathering where they could experience the car not just see it. I know hagerty sponsers events like that. They look for willing owners to participate.

So with hagerty INS in hand, and at there show. Some kid runs my car in ditch while learning to drive it. Do they raise my rates???

My love for these cars came from a race in the state of Washington. I was 4/5 yrs old. It stuck. When I was a teen, everyone else was after a drag car. My friend and I where all about the corners. I have spit now and he has a tr6.

I have two girls they love the car both have driven it. Not much they mostly are to nervous about crashing it. Both can drive a manual. I tell them punch it, it won't go that fast. When I go I'll leave to both of them. They want it.

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
I compete, (my brother is more regular than me) in tarmac rallys and club motorsport. These events attract people of all ages. Last GTR rally, a young guy in a Saleen Mustang thought my Spit was the coolest car he had ever seen, and this was in a field of moderns + classics.
I think that the pool to get young people from is car enthusiasts. When they see an old car perform, the noise, the drama, and how each has a unique character and sound, that is what grabs attention, sitting around admiring and talking about cars is pretty dull compared to driving them, or being driven over some challenging roads.

Take a kid for a ride in an open car, and he is hooked.

My brother did this at the GTR a couple of weeks ago with an 18 year old, who took a video.
I think he enjoyed it.

The link is http://www.australiantarmacrally.com/

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I think I must be doing my bit to introduce young drivers to our cars.
My member pic shows a young lady driving my car.

Then there is this:

SoulforRent Jesse Long
Kansas City, Missouri, USA   USA
I'm 18 and I've had my Spitfire since i was 16, I think a big reason why there aren't many younger people getting into triumph's is because they've been out of business since the 80's and a lot of people haven't seen them around since then. Whenever I would drive the spitfire to school everyone seemed amazed at my "rare" old car, because around here a lot of them are rotting in someones garage or have just been scrapped.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496419 by jplatel1
In reply to # 1496414 by 65or66 good luck in your task.

Using both feet and both hands to get the car started and drive it is going to interfere with their texting, IM-ing and snap-shattinggrinning smiley.

And "Whuuuuuut?! You mean it doesn't have ABS, traction control, automatic lane departure correction, autonomous collision control, 8.8" touch screen infotainment system and it's own Wi-Fi hotspot?!"

Sorry. Crankier today than usual.
Hey, maybe this type of over generalization about people my age is part of the problem.

Or maybe you went on his lawn.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
I know very few people in the sub 35 age group, but a good percentage of them do not show an innterest in cars at all!
One guy spent over $8k on a bicycle, but has never had a drivers licence. Others consider a car purely as an appliance, sometimes not even knowing the brand they bought.

It seems cars do not represent to younger generations what they did to us. Driving for enjoyment is something they may have never experienced. Todays road conditions and the modern cars that are available to them tend to foster that.
Many cars now are being sold on the technology that is within them, not on how they feel/ respond to the driver.

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
In reply to # 1496986 by Tonyfixit Many cars now are being sold on the technology that is within them, not on how they feel/ respond to the driver.

That's very true. Even ads for higher performance cars don't include any details on how the car actually performs.

"Now includes, WiFi and parking assist". I don't care, you don't buy a fast car for its parking assist do you?

I preferred the older adverts of cars doing drifts between burning hay bales and pulling j turns. Actually makes you want to drive the thing, not just be a passenger.

Brad Cogan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
They save their power-turn through the fall leaves money shots for their SUVs.

You know, to make yuppies feel like they're still cool.

achurch Avatar
achurch Andrew Church
Lexington, KY, USA   USA
OK I think something needs to be cleared up a bit. The AVERAGE younger consumer is not interested in general performance as much as space, tech, and efficiency (mostly in that order) but this is not the group we are talking about. The older owners of the British cars do not represent the majority of their demographic either (especially in the US). Just something to consider. You need to find the enthusiast. The guys and girls that aren't roped in by tech and scoff at the MPG ratings. They want the excitement and the thrill. Lots of them exist, but you need to remember they are not the average consumer that has been generalized so bad above.

Andrew Church

1977 Spitfire 1500 - 1st Classic

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, Connecticut, USA   USA
Andrew just hit the nail very squarely on the head and saved me a lot of typing! Older British cars are a minority interest whichever age group you look at. The percentage might be a bit higher in the older groups because they were buying cars back when they were still being made.

A friend of mine, early 40s, was looking into getting an older car to have some fun with. He has three sons and thought it would be interesting to show them how to work on cars. I suggested a rubber bumper MGB as a relatively inexpensive way to get into the hobby with a car that is well-supported by the parts trade.

The snag was that this guy really didn't have a lot of mechanical knowledge. In the end he bought a used BMW roadster as a means of having wind in the hair driving fun, knowing that while repairs might be expensive it shouldn't in theory be that difficult to find a place to get work done. And there is no denying that he has far more comfort, speed and better handling out of the considerably newer car that he bought than he would out of any of "our" cars which are really all throwbacks to the early 60s, whatever the date on the registration says (calm down Wedge owners, I'm generalizing a bit.)

So Andrew is spot on with his assertion that we are talking about people, whatever their age, that are not that much into gadgets and modern conveniences, who have some interest in older technology, understanding how it works and getting their hands dirty fixing their own car and in some cases, modifying it to suit their tastes.

The challenge is reaching this group and asking them to consider whether an old British car would be something they could have fun with.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Very well stated in the last posts.

But how do we identify these younger people? What other things are they into, so we can find them?

In marketing terms what is the target group.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links