Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sierra 6 Avatar
Sierra 6 Steve Wylie
Litchfield Park, Arizona, USA   USA
My Son, 26 and his girlfriend also 26 came with me to Triumphest last September. We were helping out with the Funkhana, and they had an absolute blast. So much so, they are actively looking for a Spitfire to buy and enter and win the Funkhana next year. (they already decided on Java Green for the color)

Maybe somehow get the younger crowd to see / participate in actual driving events rather than static car shows.

Social Media is the answer, it's not going away anytime soon.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
My first thought was if you were considering attracting young people than make sure your swimsuit model isn't from the 50+ crowd.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Doug, got any Vegas show girls that drive British cars?? Maybe you should personally investigate.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
How many Spits here went from your only daily driver to a hobby car?

At this point I think of it as a street legal hot rod but I've used it as a commuter car. Cup holder and all,...in the cold, cold rain.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1497153 by Bpt70gt Doug, got any Vegas show girls that drive British cars?? Maybe you should personally investigate.

I bet there are a few with late model Jags on The Strip.

Better to check out the strip clubs for Spitfires.

I'm on it.

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497147 by Doug in Vegas My first thought was if you were considering attracting young people than make sure your swimsuit model isn't from the 50+ crowd.

So me shining up Trixie triumph in my speedo is out! WHAT!!!
Blast them all, whipper snappers.

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
In reply to # 1497126 by Tonyfixit Very well stated in the last posts.

But how do we identify these younger people? What other things are they into, so we can find them?

In marketing terms what is the target group.

I think it's just that younger people like me haven't been exposed to the classic car world and thus haven't caught 'the bug' like we all have.

Every one of my friends that have been in my Triumph have loved it and a few have bought their own classics since having a go in the Spitfire.

You get a few people who scoff at its relatively low power and lack of gadgets (but that's mostly people who are jealous and who spend thousands per year paying for a new boring city car) winking smiley

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1497212 by Brad.Cogan

But how do we identify these younger people? What other things are they into, so we can find them?

I think it's just that younger people like me haven't been exposed to the classic car world and thus haven't caught 'the bug' like we all have.

Every one of my friends that have been in my Triumph have loved it and a few have bought their own classics since having a go in the Spitfire.

You get a few people who scoff at its relatively low power and lack of gadgets (but that's mostly people who are jealous and who spend thousands per year paying for a new boring city car) winking smiley

I know someone who's over 80 and has a collection of big ugly luxury cars. Some of them he had shipped from the East Coast. Ugly old Lincolns, Buicks and Cadillacs dating back to when "Miami Vice" was airing new episodes.

It's like seeing a collection of tube type TVs.

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, Connecticut, USA   USA
De gustibus non est disputandum.

I think it means "don't you tell me how to mow my lawn" in Latin.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1497248 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1497212 by Brad.Cogan

I know someone who's over 80 and has a collection of big ugly luxury cars. Some of them he had shipped from the East Coast. Ugly old Lincolns, Buicks and Cadillacs dating back to when "Miami Vice" was airing new episodes.

It's like seeing a collection of tube type TVs.

Well I guess he could pick them up inexpensively, and they could be desirable one day. I think those old Land Yachts are curiously cool (not that I would want one) At his age I doubt he will make money on them. I wonder what will become of them when he dies?

There is a guy around here that has a Zimmer, neo classic. Everytime I see it I think " What the hell!"

Now that would be a hard sell to the younger generation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 10:50 AM by Tonyfixit.

Attachments:
Zimmer_Golden_Spirit.jpg    46.7 KB
Zimmer_Golden_Spirit.jpg

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, Connecticut, USA   USA
For a Brit, the name of that car is most unfortunate as you can see by googling "Zimmer frame"

There is a relationship there somewhere.

Apparently they start out as either a Ford Mustang or a Cadillac before J.C. Whitney throws up all over them. The Zimmer website says that the car will "set you apart from the pack." I don't think you could argue with that.

It's 40F outside but sunny. I need to get the Spitfire out after looking at that picture, it will clear my mind.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
I'm in Vegas.

We see things like this:

Attachments:
Picture1001171630_11.jpg    43.4 KB
Picture1001171630_11.jpg

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
In reply to # 1497350 by Doug in Vegas I'm in Vegas.

We see things like this:

Ah that's better.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

Brunow Avatar
Brunow Ruben Deboosere
West-Vlaanderen, Vlaanderen, Belgium   BEL
In reply to # 1497147 by Doug in Vegas My first thought was if you were considering attracting young people than make sure your swimsuit model isn't from the 50+ crowd.

This :-D

I'm 32. Don't change a thing! I like the good soup at classic car meetings!

Proud owner of a Triumph spitfire IV & restoring it one evening a week with my father.
--> http://triumphspitfireiv.blogspot.be
And as long as the triumph is not working i cruise around town with my old 1968 Bsa
--> http://bsabantam.blogspot.be

achurch Avatar
achurch Andrew Church
Lexington, KY, USA   USA

Regionally, go to cars and coffee events, or mixed model car shows. There's lots around. Hell crash a JDM meet and see what reactions you get.

Most of these are organized over social media through various regional facebook groups and hosted by local custom shops usually. Target audience is the same, they just use either JDM products or VAG products to entice them. Customization and performance are big things at these. What people don't realize is just how customizable and easy these Spits are to work with.

Andrew Church

1977 Spitfire 1500 - 1st Classic

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster