AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lgray001 Avatar
lgray001 Gold Member Larry Gray
Lexington, VA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph TR7 "POS-2"
1979 Triumph TR7 "The Money Pit"
All:

This weekend I was elected Membership Chairman of the Shenandoah Valley British Car Club.

One of the things I want to make an effort to achieve is recruiting young members as most of our members are 50+.

I would appreciate any suggestions from the forum membership.

Thanks,

Larry Gray

ALL:

I've received 65 responses in one day from the various forums.

Thanks for your input.

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-07 04:27 PM by lgray001.

Member Services:
A Small Business serving the aviation community with avionics knowledge.
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Lasso.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Burlington, ON, Canada   CAN
if some of the older guys and gals make their cars look like these examples..... that might be a start. at british car shows most owners cherish factory everything. maybe you get the odd custom arm rest of something but little more. younger ppl are into social media - that's your 2nd step. you need a marketing communications person.

but even with a person like that on board (recruit school volunteer hours?)... you still need to attract eyeballs and keep them attracted. factory spits or mgb's or tr6's isn't going keep them for long, if at all. so your first step is to encourage custom modified british cars..... sort of how the young are still attracted to air cooled custom bugs or older vw gti's.

a tr4 with wires will get lots of looks from the 45+ crowd... but is totally lost on anyone under 40. maybe get owners of cars like these examples to attend, encourage more customization and then social media involvement.

oh... and no 50's or 60's music at shows. top 40 and alternative.

Attachments:
boler spitfire.jpg    49.2 KB
boler spitfire.jpg

boler spitfire 2.jpg    18.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
tightapex Avatar
tightapex Greg Bailey
Gilroy, California, USA   USA
Well, it is an interesting challenge. Younger folks have been raised on the infallibility of modern cars and stout performance potential. Modifying and personalizing these cars is simply easier than working on vintage hardware. That said, old cars do have an undeniable "cool" factor that modern cars can't quite replicate. It's possible some well-made YouTube videos or Instagram photos might pique some interest. We live in a digital world and leveraging social media might be a way to broaden the appeal to younger generations.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cbez Cole B
Fallbrook, California, USA   USA
Spits are one of the few affordable entries into the classic car world for most young people.

1971 Triumph Spitfire MK 4

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Most kids in high school auto shop classes today probably haven't even seen a Spitfire or MG. Maybe contact instructors there and see if you couldn't introduce some cars there for them to go over - or even work on. That is if auto shop classes are even offered. I'm guessing they're more likely to be found in rural areas, where old pick-ups are pretty popular.

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
I'm 21 and I don't think I've ever seen anyone younger than me on here. Most people my age just get Fiesta STs on lease and get themselves in massive amounts of debt.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
But Brad, you're willing to learn. Most young people today just want to jump in and go, forget about getting it to run or keeping it running.

'S all for now
Vic

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Same problem we just recently discussed in our last British car club meeting. No one under 50 in our club. The younger crowd around here drive the hopped up rice rockets. If it doesn't have twin turbos and hit 60 in less than 6 seconds they aren't interested. The schools around here dropped auto mechanics class years ago. I've got 2 grown boys and 2 British cars and they have very little interest in them. One drives a Corvette the other a BMW, so they like cars and performance. This is going to be an ongoing problem for all of us and the parts suppliers down the road. Wish we had an good answer. Even at most of the British car shows I go to, the visitors are in the higher age bracket. We drove these cars when we were in our 20's, the kids today have no nostalgia towards our vintage cars.

Art F Avatar
Art F Arthur Fournier
Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA   USA
You need some sort of emotional link to our cars -- this car was mom and dad's, or grandad had a car like this, or the guy down the block had a car like this and used to give me rides when I was small.

Art
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Chesapeake Beach, MD

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1496373 by Brad.Cogan Most people my age just get Fiesta STs on lease and get themselves in massive amounts of debt.

I'm past retirement age - most people my age just buy old Triumphs which rapidly turn into massive money pits....... eye rolling smiley

Topaz75 Avatar
Topaz75 Ken Woolley
Cheshire, CT, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Little Star"
At this point in time, British car clubs are primarily made up of geezers like most of us. That’s just the way it is. Even if you were to attract younger members, it’s unlikely that they would stay around for very long. Why would a group of young folks with different interests want to hang out with a bunch of old farts? If enough young people develop a fascination with British sports cars, they will likely get together and form their own club.

TheFlash300 Avatar
TheFlash300 Dave Gutknecht
Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil Spit"
Put an emphasis on your website/facebook about your events so that people can understand what they are getting into. Its not easy for everyone to just jump in. Highlight events that focus on driving (autocross, private track day, rally) and garage technical lessons. Young people don't have the same knowledge you do and your knowledge is invaluable. Perhaps even try to get younger people that aren't driving British cars to get excited and get a British car. Show that owning, driving and maintaining a British car is not difficult and daunting, but a ton of fun.

79bluespit Avatar
79bluespit Rick Lazio
Burlington, ON, Canada   CAN
there's a spitfire in the toronto area that has a nissan turbo skyline engine and trans and looked smart. paint, wheels slight trunk lip etc. there is such thing as a monster miata and this type of triumph is what might catch ppl in their 20's eyes. through social media... and not facebook... that's for 30+ crowd, snapchat is where they are at currently.... promote these kinds of triumphs as alternatives to miatas.

a few comments up someone had said there is no nostalgia in these cars for them. this is true i think. you can't market these cars on nostalgia, you have to market them as alternatives to miatas and what can be done to a spitfire or mgb to make them perform. a nismo turbo engine swap i think is a step in the right direction to attract eyeballs.... it's just a matter of getting that car and others in front of young ppl's eyes.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
good luck in your task.

Using both feet and both hands to get the car started and drive it is going to interfere with their texting, IM-ing and snap-shattinggrinning smiley.

And "Whuuuuuut?! You mean it doesn't have ABS, traction control, automatic lane departure correction, autonomous collision control, 8.8" touch screen infotainment system and it's own Wi-Fi hotspot?!"

Sorry. Crankier today than usual.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster