AutoShrine Sponsor

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
So I don't spell well at times. Stop being a Jacka@@. Old pal.

In reply to # 1496518 by clshore
In reply to # 1496331 by SpitMan Look up Mathew's old pictures of his car "Born Loser" on his Member page. ( http://www.triumphexp.com/member/Born+Loser )
He had one of those mounted on the front bumper. I have one for mine but have not determined whether or not to put it on.

I do not know where the second part goes or for what but the part with the wires is a Selenium Diode. Used to conduct or rectify current in one direction. Replaced in later years to present with the Silicone Diode.

[pedantic alert]
SILICONE is an elastomeric polymer, used for example as bathtub caulk, or as fill for breast implants.
SILICON is a hard crystalline metallic element, used to fabricate semiconductors such as diodes and transistors.
[/pedantic alert]

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
Good call Calvin on the Honda parts. Flashbacks to my 74 Honda CT70.
Found this pic of battery and diode on the net...

Attachments:
ct70.JPG    50.1 KB
ct70.JPG

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496532 by SpitMan So I don't spell well at times. Stop being a Jacka@@. Old pal.

In reply to # 1496518 by clshore
In reply to # 1496331 by SpitMan Look up Mathew's old pictures of his car "Born Loser" on his Member page. ( http://www.triumphexp.com/member/Born+Loser )
He had one of those mounted on the front bumper. I have one for mine but have not determined whether or not to put it on.

I do not know where the second part goes or for what but the part with the wires is a Selenium Diode. Used to conduct or rectify current in one direction. Replaced in later years to present with the Silicone Diode.

[pedantic alert]
SILICONE is an elastomeric polymer, used for example as bathtub caulk, or as fill for breast implants.
SILICON is a hard crystalline metallic element, used to fabricate semiconductors such as diodes and transistors.
[/pedantic alert]

Guilty as charged winking smiley

My wife calls me MFKIA
Mr F******g Know It All

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA

Attachments:
breast-implants-silicone-saline.jpg    19.9 KB
breast-implants-silicone-saline.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg    35.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
clshore Carter Shore

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
When I think of silicone I remember the original stuff that smelled like vinegar.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Good to see this forum is skilled in the art of the thread veer !

Home of the 1968 GT6+ MK II resurrection project

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496838 by JohnW63 Good to see this forum is skilled in the art of the thread veer !

We are experts...in fact, you can count on it!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496840 by grubscrew
In reply to # 1496838 by JohnW63 Good to see this forum is skilled in the art of the thread veer !

We are experts...in fact, you can count on it!

Comes from sniffing silicone.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Do you remember the 4004 processor???

In reply to # 1496554 by clshore As an ex-Intel employee, I think of Silicon like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit#/media/File:Intel_8742_153056995.jpg

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1496861 by SpitMan Do you remember the 4004 processor???

In reply to # 1496554 by clshore As an ex-Intel employee, I think of Silicon like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_circuit#/media/File:Intel_8742_153056995.jpg

I can do better than that.
I worked for a Texas company called Datapoint, that manufactured minicomputer systems whose 8 bit CPU were built up
from hundreds of low and medium level TTL chips soldered onto a 12"x18" circuit board. No microprocessor chips existed at the time.
Datapoint contracted with Intel, whose main IC product at the time was memory chips, to develop a single chip version of
their CPU, to be used in their next generation products, with the obvious advantages of space, power, costs, etc.
The chip was developed and functioned properly, but the problem was chip yield. The size of the new chip was too large
to get enough good ones without defects out of a single wafer to make it economically feasible with the IC fabrication methods of the day.
Fast forward a couple of years, and IC fabrication had advanced enormously. Intel took what they had learned from developing the
Datapoint chip, and came out with their own version, initially the 4-bit 4004, but soon followed by the 8008, then the 8080, 8016, etc, etc.

I mentioned the story a few times while an Intel employee, and got some pretty chilly responses, so I learned to keep it to myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datapoint_2200

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Great stuff, Carter. Brings back many memories. To date myself, I find myself fortunate enough to have worked with vacuum tubes, FETs, RTL, DTL, TTL, and on and on. I remember a when a Flip Flop took up a 6" x 6" circuit board......LOL! And don't get me started on memory storage. I thought I had something when I built my first computer: Southwest Technical Products 6800 using a MOT 6800 with a whopping 4K memory! Woo, Hoo! Most guys only had 2K, LOL.

Anyway back to Spitfire stuff not bits to push around there or maybe so. But it was a good walk down memory lane.

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, Texas, USA   USA
I still have my second CPU. No cooling fan needed.

Attachments:
2cpua.JPG    56.9 KB
2cpua.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster