triumph spitfire seat bmph

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
have 1972 triumph spitfire , want to put seats in . so i was wondering if anyone knows what size bolts and nuts will work to hold seats to underside. wanted to go to lowes and pick up what i need. also i dont remember if these bolts screw in the body or if they are universal and need a nut and washer to hold them in , thanks Van

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
christrish Avatar
christrish Chris B
Lehi, Utah, USA   USA
Van, my '73 has threaded holes in the floor pan. Sorry I don't know what size bolts go in there as I'm away from the garage right now, but from Canley (https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-seat-slides-safety-catches-and-adjusting-handle-all-markets-spitfire-mkiv), it looks like it's: (SETSCREW - 1/4" X 7/8" UNF)

Working to take the "D" out of DPO since 2013
Follow my restoration progress: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1/4-28 x 7/8" or 1". The nuts are spot welded to the floor pan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 09:54 PM by Greg1835.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
My 80 is apart, just walked out and looked and they are 1/4-28 X 7/8, nuts are welded into the floorpan.

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
will 1/4 -28 x 1 inch work

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496383 by vnunnally will 1/4 -28 x 1 inch work

The bolts thread through the captive nuts, they don't bottom out...so....

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Silver Bullet"
I just purchased my '67 Spitfire MK2 and am reconditioning the entire interior of the car. As I pulled out the seats I found that there was nothing that the rear seat latch could attach to in the floorboard area of the car. A few questions:

1. Is there a brace/part that should be bolted to the floor, for the seat to latch on to? (can someone please post a picture?) I have looked in the manuals and see a part that looks like a latch, but no corresponding part that looks like a brace.

2. Where would I find a floor brace? (I need 2 of them)

3. The passenger seat is also missing the latch that is found on the driver's seat. Does anyone know where I can find one of these seat latches as well?

Thanks very much!

Matt

Attachments:
67 spitfire - Driver side - rear floor.jpeg    68.7 KB
67 spitfire - Driver side - rear floor.jpeg

67 Spitfire - Driver seat latch.jpeg    50.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
The captive nuts in the floorpan often get rusty and strip. If that happens you may have to use longer bolts plus a new non captive nut. Or remove the captive nut and use a regular nut preferably backed up with a fender washer.

In either case lock washers or nylock nuts should be used.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1496410 by Matts67spit I just purchased my '67 Spitfire MK2 and am reconditioning the entire interior of the car. As I pulled out the seats I found that there was nothing that the rear seat latch could attach to in the floorboard area of the car. A few questions:

1. Is there a brace/part that should be bolted to the floor, for the seat to latch on to? (can someone please post a picture?) I have looked in the manuals and see a part that looks like a latch, but no corresponding part that looks like a brace.

2. Where would I find a floor brace? (I need 2 of them)

3. The passenger seat is also missing the latch that is found on the driver's seat. Does anyone know where I can find one of these seat latches as well?

Thanks very much!

Matt
Matt,
Those catches are supposed to catch on a bar that ties across the back of the seat tracks, not a separate piece.
The part number for the catch is 613435. I expect the only way you will find one is used, and a used one may well come with a seat attached.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster