triumph spitfire seat bmph

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
have 1972 triumph spitfire , want to put seats in . so i was wondering if anyone knows what size bolts and nuts will work to hold seats to underside. wanted to go to lowes and pick up what i need. also i dont remember if these bolts screw in the body or if they are universal and need a nut and washer to hold them in , thanks Van

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
christrish Avatar
christrish Chris B
Lehi, Utah, USA   USA
Van, my '73 has threaded holes in the floor pan. Sorry I don't know what size bolts go in there as I'm away from the garage right now, but from Canley (https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-seat-slides-safety-catches-and-adjusting-handle-all-markets-spitfire-mkiv), it looks like it's: (SETSCREW - 1/4" X 7/8" UNF)

Working to take the "D" out of DPO since 2013
Follow my restoration progress: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
1/4-28 x 7/8" or 1". The nuts are spot welded to the floor pan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 09:54 PM by Greg1835.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
My 80 is apart, just walked out and looked and they are 1/4-28 X 7/8, nuts are welded into the floorpan.

vnunnally Van Nunnally
Richmond, Virginia, USA   USA
will 1/4 -28 x 1 inch work

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496383 by vnunnally will 1/4 -28 x 1 inch work

The bolts thread through the captive nuts, they don't bottom out...so....

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Silver Bullet"
I just purchased my '67 Spitfire MK2 and am reconditioning the entire interior of the car. As I pulled out the seats I found that there was nothing that the rear seat latch could attach to in the floorboard area of the car. A few questions:

1. Is there a brace/part that should be bolted to the floor, for the seat to latch on to? (can someone please post a picture?) I have looked in the manuals and see a part that looks like a latch, but no corresponding part that looks like a brace.

2. Where would I find a floor brace? (I need 2 of them)

3. The passenger seat is also missing the latch that is found on the driver's seat. Does anyone know where I can find one of these seat latches as well?

Thanks very much!

Matt

Attachments:
67 spitfire - Driver side - rear floor.jpeg    68.7 KB
67 spitfire - Driver side - rear floor.jpeg

67 Spitfire - Driver seat latch.jpeg    50.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
The captive nuts in the floorpan often get rusty and strip. If that happens you may have to use longer bolts plus a new non captive nut. Or remove the captive nut and use a regular nut preferably backed up with a fender washer.

In either case lock washers or nylock nuts should be used.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1496410 by Matts67spit I just purchased my '67 Spitfire MK2 and am reconditioning the entire interior of the car. As I pulled out the seats I found that there was nothing that the rear seat latch could attach to in the floorboard area of the car. A few questions:

1. Is there a brace/part that should be bolted to the floor, for the seat to latch on to? (can someone please post a picture?) I have looked in the manuals and see a part that looks like a latch, but no corresponding part that looks like a brace.

2. Where would I find a floor brace? (I need 2 of them)

3. The passenger seat is also missing the latch that is found on the driver's seat. Does anyone know where I can find one of these seat latches as well?

Thanks very much!

Matt
Matt,
Those catches are supposed to catch on a bar that ties across the back of the seat tracks, not a separate piece.
The part number for the catch is 613435. I expect the only way you will find one is used, and a used one may well come with a seat attached.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links