Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dozandmaxine Avatar
dozandmaxine Doz Calvert
Darwen, lancs, UK   GBR
First cold snap this morning since buying my car and Rosie my GT6 MK3 wasn't keen on starting - just about started ( she hadn't been run for a week of damp weather )
Question is given that todays cold snap was mild compared to what's to come is the factory starter up to the job or should I replace it ASAP with a high torgue up grade ?
If so what's best make and model and where's best to get one .
Don't fancy getting stranded with a car that won't start !!
Any advice welcome

Ps I'm uk based

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
I don't think starters are affected that much by cold weather. Batteries are. That would be the first thing I would check.

Marty

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Did it not spin well, or did it spin well and just not start easily? The latter would suggest choke issues.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
https://www.google.com/search?q=battery+cranking+amps+vs+temperature&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS770&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR0MDO_6rXAhULzGMKHTo9CjUQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=974#imgrc=DZjHr04nt9kyyM:

If you can plug in your car for charging and heat , that would be good . Changing out the starter would not be of much good .
Getting a small portable generator ...

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I used to toss an electric blanket over the hood.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
You may have a battery issue, you could have a poor ground on your starter or your stater could just be struggling.

I you DO decide on replacing the starter the modern Nippondenso gear reduction starters IMHO are the way to go.

These starters are getting to be normal OE on everything these days, including some big V8's

I belive you can fit one speced for a Late 90's Isuzu Trooper that is a bolt on for your car. Other than that there are many with adaptor plates being sold by aftermarket suppiers.

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
Engine oil weight also becomes a factor when it starts to get cold. During the one winter (awhile back) where I was forced to use my Herald for some time, switching from a 20W-50 to a 10W-40 made all the difference in the world. In the early 1970s, when I used Heralds, Spitfires and such year-round up here in the frozen Northeast, I had almost no problems with cold starting, with one exception. Unless I was religious about putting a can of dry gas in with every fill-up, my Spitfire Mk3 cars would just ice up much below -10 (F), and that was it until the temps warmed up a bit. My GT6+ was almost as bad. Heralds were never a problem!

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
A marginal battery may seem to work fine in warm weather, but when it gets cold that's when they usually crap out.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
The last few weeks my starter has been turning quite slow compared to normal. I can crank it for a long time if I have to so it's not likely the battery. It always starts after a few seconds as long as I apply the choke when cold. Once warm it turns over just fine and starts with no choke...even after cooling down a bit. I won't be driving it much longer so Im not too worried about it.
Cheers

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
And then you could be the good guy with the big old jump starter box . Take it in at night to charge it and keep it warm , have a quick connect set up in the car , take it in to work to charge it up and keep it warm , etc .

https://www.google.com/search?q=lead+acid+jump+starter+pack&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiToPG23KzXAhVL2WMKHZ-lBnoQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=656#imgrc=PGdpY9Ahm0UfYM:

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
You could try a float charger. It's been a real help. I can go for two weeks of not starting and have it fire in the first quarter turn of the engine.

I cut off the battery clamps and wired in a cigar lighter plug so I don't have to raise the hood every time to plug it in.

dozandmaxine Avatar
dozandmaxine Doz Calvert
Darwen, lancs, UK   GBR
Thanks for the answers guys - food for thought - started ok today so could just be the week of not running and the damp.
Battery is new ( last year ) and all connections ( battery solenoid and starter and engine earth cleaned up )
Doesn't turn over at a great rate but will turn over no problem.
Still experimenting with the amount of choke and when to hit the gas pedal to catch it right.

dozandmaxine Avatar
dozandmaxine Doz Calvert
Darwen, lancs, UK   GBR
Just a up date - severe frost today but started fine ( although still turns over slowly compare to modern cars ) so it's looking like she didn't like the weeks lay up and damp .

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I don't think you should expect a Lucas starter to spin your engine like a modern car.

Just be glad it is nor spinning out of engagement with every third engine revolution .

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Mines starting to have trouble in the mornings as the night time temps drop. The forecast is calling for -10c tonight so we'll see how she does in the morning. This weekend might be the time to put her into hibernation.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster