Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
Both Rack boots on the car are completely broken and cracked. I saw these on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Pair-Steering-Rack-Bellow-Boots-Boot-Set-MG-Midget-1972-1979-Made-in-UK/172721496111?fits=Year%3A1965%7CMake%3ATriumph%7CModel%3ASpitfire&hash=item283700e02f:g:jxAAAOSwGvhUKw4T&vxp=mtr

Although the title says "MG Midget" the fitment says it will fir a Triumph Spitfire as well.

Or does anyone know a rack boot that will fit from other cars that I can get at a local auto parts store

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Dale,
I just searched the three easiest FLAPS for Spitfire rack boots and got nothing. So it looks as though e-bay or the usual suspects will be the only choices. Unless I could look at the Midget rack and a Spitfire rack side by side I would be suspicious of any claim that they use the same boots.
All the best,
Paul

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Why take a chance in them not fitting?

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RTC2218__9

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
The ones from VB are poly or standard. The standard fit easier. Getting it over the large part, just turn it inside out once on the shaft and pull it over, then pull it back.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 07:39 PM by trrdster.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Shipping costs from the US to Canada is often a deal killer.

regnaston Dale Sanger
What is VB?

Shipping from the UK is only $7 CDN

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Dale, UK would be cheaper.
Victoria British Parts, out of Kansas I believe.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

regnaston Dale Sanger
In reply to # 1496306 by trrdster Dale, UK would be cheaper.
Victoria British Parts, out of Kansas I believe.

Thank You

Weird that the UK is cheaper for me in North America

teeka56 Avatar
teeka56 mike leisner
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
It is very odd how much shipping is to Canada. Not sure if it's a custom issue or what deal is. But c'mon, cost more to send something to BC than Texas from Seattle area. Just plain crazy.

Few years back bought a new hood from a guy in Richmond for my SAAB. Got to the border, reported my purchase ( $400), they just waved me thru....... I don't get it.

Mike

bobbylrowland bobby l
cochran, ga., USA   USA
going by VB's catalogs,their the same boots.

regnaston Dale Sanger
In reply to # 1496478 by teeka56 It is very odd how much shipping is to Canada. Not sure if it's a custom issue or what deal is. But c'mon, cost more to send something to BC than Texas from Seattle area. Just plain crazy.

Few years back bought a new hood from a guy in Richmond for my SAAB. Got to the border, reported my purchase ( $400), they just waved me thru....... I don't get it.

Mike

Most of the time I get waived through too (I live across from Detroit)

Unless you have a very expensive purchase they dont bother with you

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
This is a FedEx invoice for a (non automotive) $18 US purchase. The vendor would only ship via FedEx.

The shipping shipping bill was $39, this invoice was sent 3 weeks later and the charges are in addition to shipping.

If it was sent USPS it's doubtful I would have had any additional charges.

Attachments:
IMG_20171107_161330.jpg    20 KB
IMG_20171107_161330.jpg

regnaston Dale Sanger
In reply to # 1496506 by Tonyfixit This is a FedEx invoice for a (non automotive) $18 US purchase. The vendor would only ship via FedEx.

The shipping shipping bill was $39, this invoice was sent 3 weeks later and the charges are in addition to shipping.

If it was sent USPS it's doubtful I would have had any additional charges.

anything under approx $20 value mailed is not charged for duty generally.. and yes Fedex is crap when it comes to brokerage fees.

I get stuffed shipped into detroit if the shipper insists on Fedex or UPS .. then I pick it up over there

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
When and if you manage to get them (for me it was Spitbits) make sure you spray the insides with silicone lubricant prior to assembly.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
In reply to # 1496958 by Doug in Vegas When and if you manage to get them (for me it was Spitbits) make sure you spray the insides with silicone lubricant prior to assembly.

Still, getting the passenger side boot over the inner ball joint can be a pain.

My answer is to cut a square of polyethylene plastic (the side of a 1 gallon oil bottle)

Roll it into a loose cone inserting the small end in the boot end and the wide end of the cone over the knuckle.

Slide the boot up over the cone until it clears the knuckle, then remove the plastic cone, pulling it out with pliers.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster