When the book lets you down

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gonner86 Pete Sylvester
Montgomery, illinios, USA   USA
I’m having trouble taking distributor apart my Lucas 45DE4>>>>>347. The book does not seem to have the assembly instructions for it. Is this a pressed together assembly or am I missing a push pin or nut somewhere?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20171105_205725.jpg    30.6 KB
20171105_205725.jpg

20171105_205742.jpg    25.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20171105_205937.jpg    37.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
If you loosen the clamp on the pedestal, the dist. should pull out of it.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
if it doesn't pull out, then the center aluminum portion may have seized inside the cast steel base. Or at least frozen to it. It may take a few days of soaking and heat cycles to get it free. Or more drastic action...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The dizzy should just pull out of the base, there is an "O" ring in there to keep the oil down. Can you turn the base on the end of the dizzy?

'S all for now
Vic

gonner86 Pete Sylvester
Montgomery, illinios, USA   USA
Thank you all for the help...... I soaked it in penetrating oil for a week, used MAP gas for heat, all to no avail. In the end I had to drive the center shaft out of the aluminum distributor, cut the $.50 clamp off and then I was able to use a 5ton press to remove the distributor saving the housing. In the end the housing was harder to find than the Lucas home before dark distributor.

On to then next bit of joy and rapture....... porting the head and erasing god knows how many years of rust from a blow head gasket.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster