AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

U Joints Or...?
  This topic is about my 1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500
75Spittie Avatar
75Spittie Sam Crosby
Bethlehem, NH, USA   USA
All,

Currently tracking down the source of a clunking/clicking noise from the rear of my '75 spitfire 1500. Here's what I have found so far:

1) The sound DOES depend on speed, i;e faster speed = more rapid sound
2) I only hear the sound when decelerating

These points lead me to believe it is a UJ issue, however the sound does not seem to change as the car goes around a bend, as bad axle UJs would.

As shown in the pictures (hope I posted those correctly), each UJ has one snap ring that seems to be rubbing on the UJ, creating a shiny ring. Perhaps the experts of this forum could shed some light...

Thanks!

1975 Triumph Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
Might have to get a screw driver in by the u-joint and pry it around a little to check for movement. A joint on my axle was missing most all the needle bearings in a cap and I didn't even see it till I moved the axle while holding the yoke and noticed the movement.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I would say the chances are 10-1 it is the UJ

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
75Spittie Avatar
75Spittie Sam Crosby
Bethlehem, NH, USA   USA
Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I'll see what I can find for movement with the screwdriver tomorrow AM.

1975 Triumph Spitfire

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
If the bearing cap and the retainer clip are moving against each other you have an issue. There is no reason for them to move, in fact the bearing cap should be snug enough in the joint that it will not move.
Dan

nirvana tom safford
washington state, USA   USA
I had a loud clicking sound when turning.I replaced the ujoints ,axle bearings,seals etc.Still clicked.Pulled the diff and found the spider gear thrust washers worn badly. I replaced the thrust washers and the clicking went away. the rear seemed quieter also. I have been unable to find these washers since.If anybody knows of a source for these washers please post them!

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, Wisconsin, USA   USA
That bearing cap is locked on the cross and turning in the yoke, which is now junk. (bearing is supposed to be a light press fit in yoke)

Roy Avatar
Roy roy o
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Pretty sure SpitBits had the brass/bronze thrust washers

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496158 by Roy Pretty sure SpitBits had the brass/bronze thrust washers

Huh?

Roy Avatar
Roy roy o
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Post #6 asked where to get diff gear thrust washers . I got brass/bronze from Spitbits . Great place for parts

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496234 by Roy Post #6 asked where to get diff gear thrust washers . I got brass/bronze from Spitbits . Great place for parts

Thanks, I had missed that from #6, was trying to relate UJ cups to thrust washers, and coming up empty.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster