AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

OD in Spitfire
  This topic is about my 1980 Triumph 1500
Pastor J James Porter
Varnville, South Carolina, USA   USA
This might open up lots of conversation but just seeking others thoughts on it. I had a 78 Spit non OD and drove it well over 200000 miles. It is now history but I pulled the transmission out of it to put in my 1980. It is in the car with new stuff. I have not put the interior in or the bonnet on. I have the transmission from the 1980 and it is an OD. It has several gears bad in it. My question is, in your opinion is it worth pulling out my current transmission using it to rebuild the OD one, buy new seals and such, new drive shaft, or stay with the regular 4 speed? I have never had OD so I don't really know what I am missing. Thanks for your thoughts!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Hi James,
If it were me, I'd rebuild and install the overdrive transmission. It makes highway driving so much less buzzy.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
+1 to OD. One of my best upgrades...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I have never driven an OD unit either but I think if I had the opportunity I would just rebuild the current unit. More cost but a lot less hassle in getting everything set up right, and you get a new experience.
Dan

2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
overdrive nice for cruising I am removing from my car cause I'm going to autocross it and they are just too heavy.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hey James,

Short of an engine/tranny swap, to me the OD is a no-brainer. I don't take AutoCross as competitively as Thomas does so the weight wasn't even a consideration for me (but a clever one in his case).

Seems that you have a few options and the one I would take would be to get new replacement parts for the overdrive and keep the functioning 4-speed intact. Keep it and the associated parts, mounts, driveshaft, etc. in case something happens to the OD. Easy swap in a day and you can still enjoy the Spit as you repair the OD.

That written, my OD never had any issues in something like 17 years, so maybe I'm just a hoarder!

Not sure what a decent 4-speed would sell for, but I would hope more than the parts you might harvest from it?

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
My car has O/D and I use it quite a bit. But I also tend to do a fair amount of long trips at highway speeds. Back in the days of the 55 MPH speed limit (when many these cars were new), one could probably survive without O/D. These days when just trying to be safe at modern traffic speeds requires holding 70 MPH or more, O/D is somewhat of a necessity. But... if you avoid highways and mainly do weekend back road jaunts, then O/D may not be much of a benefit other than for resale value.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

regnaston Dale Sanger
Belle River, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1965 Triumph Spitfire "Frankenspit"
Hi James,, I also am a Pastor grinning smiley

Question for the rest of you. I assume the OD transmission is a 5 speed manual then? My new to me 65 Spitfire has the GT6 engine and 5 gears

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
OD tranny is different from a 5sp. Btw what is in your 65 ? I guess you have 5 positions on the selector for forward gears?

OD has the 4 forawrd gears...and an overdive unit attached that is electrically operated...which dives overdive in 3 an 4th gear.
I like to consider the overdive gearbox as a 5 1/2 speed... (4 forward gears...4 OD which is like 5th gear...and 3OD...which is similar in ratio as 4th gear)

In reply to # 1496214 by regnaston Hi James,, I also am a Pastor grinning smiley

Question for the rest of you. I assume the OD transmission is a 5 speed manual then? My new to me 65 Spitfire has the GT6 engine and 5 gears

regnaston Dale Sanger
Not sure exactly what was put in the Spitfire I have.

I know it has the GT6 engine (Not sure from what year) and has a 5 speed manual transmission.

No notes came with it unfortunately

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Frank, I think I'd go with a 6-speed comparison. Although the ratio for 3-over isn't an exact step between 3rd and 4th it's actually decently close. I've often used 3-over to just get that sweet spot.

Edit: typo "isn't"

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-06 07:58 PM by Manana.

Attachments:
Spitfire Driver Ratios.JPG    31.2 KB
Spitfire Driver Ratios.JPG

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Dale,

What does the shifter look like? If there's a switch on top (or somewhere else) to activate the 5th gear, then it's a Triumph transmission as we've described. If you have to physically shift into a 5th gear, then it is an aftermarket conversion. If the latter, where is Reverse? If up-left, it's a T-9 from a European Ford. If down-right, then it's likely a Toyota conversion.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

regnaston Dale Sanger
No button on the shifter

Reverse is push down and far left & up

regnaston Dale Sanger
Just checked again..I guess I was imagining a 5th gear.. only 4

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1496246 by regnaston No button on the shifter

Reverse is push down and far left & up
Dale,
If you find that you can't select first when the car is moving without grinding the gears you almost certainly have the original three-synchro three-rail gearbox in your car. If first shifts like the other gears then you have the later four-synchro three-rail gearbox.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster