GM Alternator

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mik99 mike S
Four Seasons, MO, USA   USA
Does anyone have the Bosch part number or the year, make, and model of a car they originally came on? And does the Lucas pulley really fit without modification? Seriously?

Thanks,
Mik

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495826 by Tonyfixit
In reply to # 1495807 by clshore ... I used an alternator out of a XX unicorn

You don't really think they design and build a special alternator for each car do you?

Other than some minor differences, there are only few basic alternator types that are basically interchangeable.

Our cars need a single v-belt pulley.

It helps to be able to ask by application. Give a parts guy a list of specs and he will just give you a 'Deer in the headlights' look.

Pulleys are interchangable, but it helps if a V belt pulley is fitted in the first place.

I agree that a specific car helps the counter guy, but the car ought to be some common model.
The part exchange information is on the web, you can look it up yourself.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495855 by mik99 Does anyone have the Bosch part number or the year, make, and model of a car they originally came on? And does the Lucas pulley really fit without modification? Seriously?

Thanks,
Mik

Should note the stock fan on the Bosch famously dings one of the mounting bolts. The solution is you either need to bend the blades out slightly or trim the tips on a bench grinder.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
When you order do NOT let them push a 34 amp power plant when you can get an 80 amp.

You will be running the wiper blades, heater blower motor and the headlights in the dark days ahead.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Hey Mik, and Joao, (not sure if this line of discussion is highjacking your thread)

I used the Bosch 13107, and did not have the problem Doug speaks of; mine went in fairly easily with some minor adjustments.... You can read about it here....http://www.triumphexp.com/journal/Manana/11585

From my notes and my opinions it was....
• Originally from the 1978 – 1980 Ford Fiesta.
• Check out Spitfire & GT6 Magazine Issue #34 page 32. (thanks E. Perry), and some more stuff in this forum post….
http://www.triumphexperience.com/phorum/read.php?8,737451,737451#msg-737451
• Post #23 here is interesting (thanks guys for telling it how it is)… http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,737451,880044#msg-880044
• Better performance with 55 Amps.
• As close to a physical Direct Fit as possible, may require minor grinding or adding of washers and a larger mounting bolt at the bottom.
• 3-prong electrical connection is a Direct Fit.
• Increased amperage is not enough to warrant any wiring upgrades.
• If the alternator does not come with pulley and fan, ensure shaft size of the replacement is the same as the Lucas you will have to rob. Again, my 16 ACR has a 15mm shaft with woodruff key.
• If you are going by the 1978 – 1980 Ford Fiesta fitment ensure it’s the Bosch one not the Motorcraft or other manufacturer that are considered compatible; they have different mounting positions requiring other minor alterations.
• From Joe’s entry #13 here (if you got the pulley with it as he did).... http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,737451,737613#msg-737613 looks like the same size as the Lucas pulley.

Big thing to remember is that any 35 year old alternator you are going to buy is likely in need of a rebuild anyway. The place I got mine does such rebuilds and uses all new electricals so in reality, just getting the Lucas one rebuilt will be pretty much the same unless you want more amps.

Good luck with it.

Steve

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

mik99 mike S
Four Seasons, MO, USA   USA
Steve - thanks for the info. Lots of good tips and info there. I think the Fiesta spec Bosch is the way to go. Bolt-in with maybe a few adjustments and direct electrical plug-in using the Spitfire cable beats the Nippondenso alternative in my mind, and the remanufactured Lucas units seem to be dead on arrival typically or fail within a few months. If anyone thinks the original Lucas units were bad, it appears they are head and shoulders above the Lucas remans. Didn't think I'd ever say the Lucas alternators were better than any alternative. One more solution might be to take a dead Lucas to a local shop and have them rebuild it as opposed to buying one from the usual suspects.

The Remy brand reman looks like the best bet among the remanufactured units. I don't think the low dollar remans are worth the trouble of testing/return/testing/return until I find a good one. About $68 on Rock Auto for the Remy reman. An alternative is a new one from Power Select at $58 from RA. One more thought - I would certainly agree that the Bosch version of the 13107 spec alternators would be more desirable than the Motorcraft version, but is there an obvious way to tell the difference by looking at one?

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
When I ordered one for the '79 Fiesta from NAPA they got in the MotorCraft version. It has the mounting holes at 180 degrees from each other as compared to the Bosch version. Although I'm sure it could be made to work, why bother when the other unit fits better.

These guys seem to have both.
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1979/ford/fiesta/engine_electrical/alternator.html

Because the link may disappear I've attached images of both for future reference.

I've actually got more info on Iskra, Toyota, Saturn, and GM stuff, that was all considered when I was making my choice. I submitted it to Skye a few years ago but don't think he's ever put it up as a tech note. One day I'll load it up to my website.

All the best.

Steve

Attachments:
Bosch Version.jpg    36.8 KB
Bosch Version.jpg

MotorCraft - Remy Version.jpg    28.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tgt6 Avatar
Tgt6 Joao Simoes
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "GT6 Cabriolet"
1973 Triumph GT6+ (MkII)
Great tips! The one thing I like about the Delco despite the low cost, is the plethora of parts. I took my old one, has the case powdercoated black then proceeded to buy the highest quality internals while reusing the stator and armature. I then got chrome case bolts, billet pulley and fan. Sure it cost more but I enjoyed the process.

A penny for your thoughts but everyone gives their 2 cents' worth...somebody is making a penny.

Joao

197? GT6 Convertible
1965 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe
1950 Dodge Meadowbrook

Attachments:
IMG_1801.JPG    48 KB
IMG_1801.JPG

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Nice work Joao, man you made quick work of that!

I don't recall anyone bringing up that point before and it's certainly something to consider.

In the past I've not been too concerned with a pretty engine bay, but I suspect I will start into that after I get my rear suspension built and a few other things cleaned up.

I totally hear you about the process and it does look pretty snazzy, congrats on your success.

Steve

Tgt6 Avatar
Tgt6 Joao Simoes
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "GT6 Cabriolet"
1973 Triumph GT6+ (MkII)
Thanks for the kind words.

A penny for your thoughts but everyone gives their 2 cents' worth...somebody is making a penny.

Joao

197? GT6 Convertible
1965 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe
1950 Dodge Meadowbrook

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I just checked the alternator that came on my '72 Spitfire. I knew it was a replacement of some sort off a boat motor, but never investigated what exactly it is. Doing a little research, turns out to be a Leece-Neville marine alternator. It seems to work okay. Anyone ever hear of using marine alternators in automobiles? From what I've read, going the reverse direction -- auto to marine -- is a strict no-no. This one looks to be pretty heavy, and probably not an ideal replacement for a sports car. Guess if I ever to go submarining it'd be a handy thing to have. winking smiley Since it works fine, it's not high on my list of things to change, but it goes to show you can use almost anything that fits the space.

Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
In reply to # 1496173 by Fictioneer Anyone ever hear of using marine alternators in automobiles?

I've seen marine grade vinyl used for the interior.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Hmmm. Think I'd rather have marine grade leather. winking smiley

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Attachments:
Flipper.jpeg    7.6 KB
Flipper.jpeg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Marine grade usually means twice the price!

I had to replace the starter on a Ford 5 litre boat motor this summer, the Denso starters, marine and automotive appeared the same, other than the rubber caps on the wire terminals. The price differance was over $100!

Marine grade wire IS different to that used in automotive applictions, it's core wire are tinned and it is better able to stand vibration.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Yeah, but our cars are named after a fighter plane so we should be using aircraft grade.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster