AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Tgt6 Avatar
Tgt6 Joao Simoes
Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "GT6 Cabriolet"
1973 Triumph GT6+ (MkII)
Does anyone in the group have a GM 10si alternator on a GT6 ?
Is it a good fit, any alignment issues? It seems kind of iffy on the pictures from Teglers website. Would the Spitfire' amount work better?

A penny for your thoughts but everyone gives their 2 cents' worth...somebody is making a penny.

Joao

197? GT6 Convertible
1965 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Coupe
1950 Dodge Meadowbrook

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
I have a gm alt. On my spit1500. It's a little bigger than stock. There's other choices that are smaller and have more power than stock.

Canely sells a 55amp.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 11:18 AM by lef2wander.

rainking1958 Avatar
rainking1958 Randy Scott
Green, ohio, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Kermit"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Runt"
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
I have used delco’s and bosche on both spitfires and TR7’s and 8’s

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jjjjack Avatar
jjjjack Gold Member Jack Greene
Boston, Massachusetts, USA   USA
1967 Triumph GT6 "Wee Wee Car"
Joao -

I put this 85 amp one in my GT6 Mk1

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/pwm-17127/recommendedparts/

Along with this charging cable (runs from the alternator to the top terminal of the solenoid

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/pwm-1-84

I used this scheme to get rid of the stock voltage regulator (as the new alternator has one built in). I did need to fabricate a spacer for the long bolt that attaches the alternator pivot to the block

It works really well!

Jack

Attachments:
7127-conversion.jpg    48.2 KB
7127-conversion.jpg

joppamoto Mark R
Crestwood, Ky, USA   USA
You can get a 14029 from Ebay, Advance, or other places. It is a direct replacement, mounts the same, wires the same, and looks very close to original. Usually about $60. If you need more amps than stock, there are plenty of alternatives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 10:13 AM by joppamoto.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, Montana, USA   USA
I have a GM alt on my gt6+. Can't remember off hand how hard to fit.... but I remeber it being easy. If I can unbury it from the snow, ill snap a picture

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
The Denso works well and is small and light. I've heard that a Denso alternator off a Suzuki Swift is a good choice. You can find them with various pulley options. http://densoautoparts.com/alternators.aspx

Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, wa, USA   USA
I used an Delco 90 amp alternator out of a 91 Saturn. Clocked the case and it bolted in.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1495789 by jefferygt I used an Delco 90 amp alternator out of a 91 Saturn. Clocked the case and it bolted in.

Jeffery,
What did you use for a pulley? The Saturn originally had a serpentine belt.
Curious,
Paul

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
... I used an alternator out of a XX unicorn

You don't really think they design and build a special alternator for each car do you?

Other than some minor differences, there are only few basic alternator types that are basically interchangeable.

Our cars need a single v-belt pulley.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1495807 by clshore ... I used an alternator out of a XX unicorn

You don't really think they design and build a special alternator for each car do you?

Other than some minor differences, there are only few basic alternator types that are basically interchangeable.

Our cars need a single v-belt pulley.

It helps to be able to ask by application. Give a parts guy a list of specs and he will just give you a 'Deer in the headlights' look.

Pulleys are interchangable, but it helps if a V belt pulley is fitted in the first place.

rainking1958 Avatar
rainking1958 Randy Scott
Green, ohio, USA   USA
1977 MG MGB "Kermit"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Runt"
1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead
1980 Triumph TR8    & more
I have used the Bosch that was used by GM on the Saturn. It can with a serpentine pulley. I simply replaced it with the pulley from the Lucas. And for a few bucks picked up the connector cable for the Bosch

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, wa, USA   USA
The new alternator was only $50 at Cost Less Auto Parts. The guy at the counter gave me a v belt pulley for free. It just bolted right on. I think there was a slot or woodruff key or something. They also thru in a factory plug and wires. Super clean install. I modified my old external regulator as well to keep the stock look and the wires tidy.

In reply to # 1495795 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1495789 by jefferygt I used an Delco 90 amp alternator out of a 91 Saturn. Clocked the case and it bolted in.

Jeffery,
What did you use for a pulley? The Saturn originally had a serpentine belt.
Curious,
Paul

Falkon Avatar
Falkon Al Martin
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495807 by clshore ... I used an alternator out of a XX unicorn

Now that's funny. I love it.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
My Bosch install was a direct plugin electrically but the upper clamp (which is also the lift ring for the engine) had to be reversed to get it to fit.

Attachments:
P1010002.JPG    69.1 KB
P1010002.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links