Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Not a big deal. RTFM

The proper way is to use a small pin punch & carefully drive the gear out from the cable side.
Then you can reuse the plug.

A little Loctite will hold it in.

Dennis smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-01 08:55 PM by 14GPDJENGINEERING.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
I did as suggested and got the plug out.

Unfortunately now I [url=]can't get the pin out[/url]. Meh. It keeps fighting and I keep losing...

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Put the drive gear in the jaws of the vice. Hit the pin with a punch, I am sure you can find it!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Those pins are very tough to dislodge. I usually resort to drilling. Start with a 1/8 inch drill and if necessary work up to 3/16 (the diameter of the pin).

As Tony said clamp the dog in your vise.

Dennis smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-03 08:40 PM by 14GPDJENGINEERING.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
When going back together I slightly countersink the holes in the dog, use a brass pin, and peen the ends into the countersunk holes.

dplass Avatar
2011 Ford Fusion
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll try it again.

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
When I took the one off my Spit, Dave, I really had to wail on it. Almost seems like it's an interference fit.

14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
It is like a solid rivet on both sides. Grind or file some into the dog to get a better drilling spot and to see the parting line.

You may need to drill from both sides.

Dennis smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 02:53 PM by 14GPDJENGINEERING.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Clamp the actual dizzy shaft in a plastic jawed vice and use a super fine drift. In a pinch you can fashion a one job tool at the bench grinder from a nail. Hold the nail in vice grips so it doesn't exit - stage left.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1495849 by Doug in Vegas Clamp the actual dizzy shaft in a plastic jawed vice and use a super fine drift. In a pinch you can fashion a one job tool at the bench grinder from a nail. Hold the nail in vice grips so it doesn't exit - stage left.
Doug,
Those pins don't come out that easy. A nail will be too soft to do the job . It will just bend. A concrete nail or one meant to be driven by a powder charge might be hard enough.
Dennis P is right, the pin is more like a rivet, removing the head from one side makes getting it out much easier.
All the best,
Paul

dplass Avatar
2011 Ford Fusion
Update: there is no update. I continued to file down the one side and was able to see the pin, clamped it down, and started whacking with a sharp punch and 4 lb sledge. Still not moving...

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496209 by dplass Update: there is no update. I continued to file down the one side and was able to see the pin, clamped it down, and started whacking with a sharp punch and 4 lb sledge. Still not moving...

'Sharp'?
You need a pin punch like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1-8-in-Pin-Punch-66053/205820407?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Garage-Automotive%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Z6Fhciq1wIVxbrACh1ZLgnyEAYYCCABEgJ6O_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMbClZfIqtcCFYmtaQodQeoDTA

Rick in Miami Avatar
Rick in Miami Rick Z
Miami, Florida, USA   USA
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Spit 6"
1974 Jensen Healey
On several occasions I have found it necessary to take a distributor to a local machine or auto repair shop to have the factory pin pressed out. On reassembly (make sure the drive dog is properly oriented to your rotor position) I replace the factory pin with a roll/tension pin from the local hardware store.

dplass Avatar
2011 Ford Fusion
Yup, I have this set: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mayhew-Punch-and-Chisel-Set-12-Piece-61040/203353841

which has almost the same exact punch.

In reply to # 1496215 by clshore
In reply to # 1496209 by dplass Update: there is no update. I continued to file down the one side and was able to see the pin, clamped it down, and started whacking with a sharp punch and 4 lb sledge. Still not moving...

'Sharp'?
You need a pin punch like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1-8-in-Pin-Punch-66053/205820407?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D25T-Garage-Automotive%7c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Z6Fhciq1wIVxbrACh1ZLgnyEAYYCCABEgJ6O_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMbClZfIqtcCFYmtaQodQeoDTA

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

Mark Jones Avatar
Close to Sarnia, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1995 MG MGF "Barney"
1996 Land Rover Discovery
I was thinking of Jeff as a source for the springs.

In reply to # 1495304 by dplass I'd prefer to do it myself; working on The Beast is my hobby!

In reply to # 1495295 by Mark Jones Try Jeff at Advanced Distributors

MOWOG Garage serving the needs of all Post Abingdon MG owners in Lambton Co. since 2011.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster