TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Alternate source for CV conversion kit ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
For me, thinking of the Spitfire as a street legal hot rod had me going to actual Southern California hot rod shops. There are whole aftermarket suspension systems and drive train components that are probably superior to stock, including CV joints and a choice of differential gear ratios and all disk brakes. I guess it's best to radically modify things like this during a frame off restoration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-02 09:04 PM by Doug in Vegas.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Ok, don't panic. I contacted Rimmer Brothers this morning to inquire about the CV axle kits and got a quick reply. They now get their CV axle kits from a different supplier and will continue to supply these. They said they have sold 7 kits this week alone and have just ordered 10 more kits for stock so looks like we are good for the future. They also said their kits are superior to the Canley kits.

Gee, wonder why they had such a demand on kits this week? See, collectively we can push the market along. Be nice is Spitbits or others would stock a few.

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495474 by Bpt70gt Ok, don't panic. I contacted Rimmer Brothers this morning to inquire about the CV axle kits and got a quick reply. They now get their CV axle kits from a different supplier and will continue to supply these. They said they have sold 7 kits this week alone and have just ordered 10 more kits for stock so looks like we are good for the future. They also said their kits are superior to the Canley kits.

Gee, wonder why they had such a demand on kits this week? See, collectively we can push the market along. Be nice is Spitbits or others would stock a few.

Spitbits has them, you don't want them from there.

http://www.spitbits.com/store/CV-CONVERSION-FOR-ROTOFLEX-GT6-1req-P1422.aspx

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Wow... I often buy stuff from Nigel but yikes - $900/set is quite a bit more than getting them from Rimmers.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That must be a fairly recent kit that Spitbits has acquired. Before I purchased mine from Rimmers about 2 years ago, Spitbits did list them but when I called them back then to see if they had a kit in stock, they told me they actually didn't stock them anymore. So I ordered mine from Rimmers when they were running one of their 15% off sales.
If Spitbits is stocking them now, they sure are making a nice profit on a kit compared to what Rimmers is selling even considering the shipping costs from the UK.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I need to get on Rimmers mailing list for those discounts.

Home of the 1968 GT6+ MK II resurrection project

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Rimmers has a November 15% off sale now. When I order from them, the items usually arrive faster than when I order from our usual sources.

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Guess what just arrived a couple of hours ago. eye popping smiley

It blows my mind how I can order something somewhat large and heavy from another continent with a big ocean in the way and have it in two days. And pay less in shipping than if I were ordering within the US... confused smiley

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
That's how it works for me most the time too. Now comes the fun of installing the axles.

dplass Avatar
dplass Silver Member David P
Merrick, New York, USA   USA
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "The Beast"
2011 Ford Fusion
Me too-- I ordreed some stuff from Rimmer bros on Tuesday night and got it Thursday night.!

(But the shipping was a lot for just a few pounds of stuff. I'd rather pay half for shipping and have it come in a week.)

In reply to # 1495653 by IanF Guess what just arrived a couple of hours ago. eye popping smiley

It blows my mind how I can order something somewhat large and heavy from another continent with a big ocean in the way and have it in two days. And pay less in shipping than if I were ordering within the US... confused smiley

-D

1972 GT6 MK3 "The Beast"

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
I don't know... two sets of axles is a heavy fricken' box...

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495653 by IanF Guess what just arrived a couple of hours ago. eye popping smiley

Ever see the beginning of "Ace Ventura - Pet Detective"?

GT6CA Russell F
Petaluma, CA, USA   USA
I get the impression that many of the US suppliers think/hope no-one will really know how cost effective it can be to buy from the UK and with the shipping it can come in far less than buying domestically. I have nothing against the US suppliers and i will but most of the day to day parts from them, i just cannot stomach buying more than a few hundred $$ worth of parts over here.

In the past 6 months i had to order a number of parts for our Morris Traveller, i worked out that even with shipping i saved at least $500 on that order. (It was about an $1100 order in total)

booley Bruce H
Latham, NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495315 by clshore
In reply to # 1495297 by Mark Jones Thanks Carter, sarcasm appreciated.

I'll be looking for donor parts from cars that were built in volume and are easily and cheaply available: Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, GM, etc.
Fortunately, most CV axles are built from modular components, and if you cannot find an off the shelf part,
existing shaft can be modified to work at reasonable cost.

I have an old conversion made from axles out of a Datsun 510

MTBer Adrian Tayne
Grants Pass, OR, USA   USA
1967 MG MGB GT
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Chloe"
Glad I picked mine up when I did. Not looking forward to the day when they wear out, although it will probably be illegal for a human to drive a car by the time that happens spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster