Distance between fuel tank braces

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
When I went to remove the fuel tank of our GT6 project, I found someone had cut through the front support that goes from inner fenders on both sides and supports the front of the fuel tank. It was still a bit of a struggle to lift the tank out. I took a tape measure and found on the right side, the distance from the front rail to the one attached to the back of the car was 23.5". On the left side, where the tank sits, it was 22.5". I measured from the dash to the front rail on both sides, to see if it had been moved at some point and found the measurements were equal. So, the back left corner seems to be one inch off. Sighting down the back edge of the car looks OK. The body panels on either side of the car look alright. No obvious ripples or warps.

Any ideas ? I can take some pictures and post them, if that will help. I assume the front rail can be rewelded back together. Of should we just get a new one to replace it with ?

Home of the 1968 GT6+ MK II resurrection project

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
Just a gratuitous bump up.

As straight as this car looks to the eye, I'm trying to figure out where it would lose an inch. Can anyone verify what the distance they have between the supports for their fuel tank ?

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495249 by JohnW63 Just a gratuitous bump up.

As straight as this car looks to the eye, I'm trying to figure out where it would lose an inch. Can anyone verify what the distance they have between the supports for their fuel tank ?

I would not assume symmetry ...
You can find diagrams of the chassis dimensions, used to assess crash damage and/or distortion.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnW63 John Williamson
Would the shop manual have the measurements ? I would think the tank should drop in, with stock placement.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
At this point, I think you should post some pictures.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Waiting for my darn phone to finish updating before I can grab the pictures off of it.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Here is a shot of the brace infront of the fuel tank. Obviously cut:

Here is a shot of the back of the car, after I power washed it. You can see some grey paint of body filler in the corner.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
In reply to # 1495249 by JohnW63 Just a gratuitous bump up.

John- That rail that has been cut should be equidistant on both sides, from the rail at the rear of the car. I just measured one of my parts cars.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-02 12:50 PM by grubscrew.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1495520 by grubscrew
John- That rail that has been cut should be equidistant on both sides, from the rail at the rear of the car. I just measured one of my parts cars.
Dave,
That is good, but can you give some intermediate dimension for both sides so John can figure out where the missing inch has been taken out of his car?
All the best,
Paul

JohnW63 John Williamson
Well, it's good to know I was correct.

I'm going to try and measure from the dash back to the rear support from one side to the other. It should be a mirror image of the opposite side of the car. It just doesn't seem obvious from the inside. You would think there would be some wrinkles or weld marks or bends to take up an inch of distance.

JohnW63 John Williamson
We did some careful inspection and measuring and it looks like the inner fender on the left side is wrinkled at the seam at the back corner, by at least half an inch. We can see cracks in probably a skin of bondo on the seam between the upper and lower halves of the rear body panels. ( Where the tail lights are and the rear valance. ) I did some looking at Rimmer's and I didn't see a new inner rear panel for that. Is that one going to have to be hammered out straight ?

Also, the rear support rail that the fuel tank rests on seems rusty enough, especially where is is welded to the back valance, that I would like to replace it. Is this part available ? Or is this one we will need to make or have made ?

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster