Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

AZMoose Mike R
Chandler, Arizona, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Felicity"
I am working on my interior and today pulled back the carpet on the rear cargo shelf behind the seats and removed some duct tape that a previous owner had used. There is a hole that seems to be missing a fastener. The passenger side has a bolt and washer, but not the driver's side. What is being fastened (or actually not being fastened in this case)?

Also, how about the larger hole in the middle (it was also covered with tape)?

Thanks in advance for any input!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Missing_Bolt.jpg    48.2 KB
Missing_Bolt.jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Perhaps a roll bar had been fitted? Full harness seat belts?

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The left and right holes bolt the body to the chassis. The center one I don't know, must be PO.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GT6CA Russell F
Petaluma, CA, USA   USA
Is the center one just for a rubber plug? for what i don't know.

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, Wisconsin, USA   USA
My '79 has the same hole in the middle, also was covered with black tape. If I'm not mistaken, it also had the smaller hole on the drivers side - also covered with tape.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I have the same hole in the center, there's a rubber plug in it.

'S all for now
Vic

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I have seen a few with the rubber plug I the center. My 72 has all three with no plugs but it has been partially stripped. No idea on the bolt, Crawl under and see what is attached there.
Dan

cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, Connecticut, USA   USA
Vic has is right. Outside bolts are for body to frame, so I'd recommend getting a new one for that side. According to SpitBits, it's hardware bolt number HB828. I don't have access to my hardware catalog right now or I'd tell you what that is, but if you do a Google search you can find the hardware catalog for download (or someone else may provide).

I have a '66 and that center hole is there with a rubber plug. I'm not quite sure what it is for as it provides access to the interior of the heelboard area, not a bolt or anything else that I can figure. A drain spot for paint or some manufacturing thing, I presume, like the holes that are in the floor boards that don't really seem to serve a purpose.

Cheers,
Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com

MCJ1 Mike J
Chester, Cheshire, UK   GBR
The holes are still plugged with the original rubber grommets on my 1500. I vaguely remember taking them out to inject wax oil into that area a long time ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-23 06:20 AM by MCJ1.

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
I believe there are several holes in the body that were used only for aligning the body panel onto a jig when the body parts were assembled and welded. I suspect that center hole may be one of them.

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, Florida, USA   USA
Rubber plug in the last year for the round tails.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible

Attachments:
100_3018.JPG    41.9 KB
100_3018.JPG

100_3020.JPG    57.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
69gt6stopp Avatar
69gt6stopp Paul Stopp
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I put rubber plugs in my 3 holes on my GT6+ , there are no frame bolts that go through.

Best regards,

Paul

AZMoose Mike R
In reply to # 1493333 by Tonyfixit Perhaps a roll bar had been fitted? Full harness seat belts?

It actually did have a roll bar installed when I bought it, but the mounting points are much further outboard. Kind of a funny side note - whoever put the roll bar in failed to check for clearance issues with the top before installation, and, as it turns out, there was no way to get the top up with the roll bar on the car. Whoops!

AZMoose Mike R
In reply to # 1493363 by Yellowhawk Valley I have seen a few with the rubber plug I the center. My 72 has all three with no plugs but it has been partially stripped. No idea on the bolt, Crawl under and see what is attached there.
Dan

Easier said than done for me. Kind of a big guy. cool smiley

I'll have to get the jacks stands out and then I can at least get my fat...head...under to have a look.

AZMoose Mike R
In reply to # 1493383 by cmfisher4 Vic has is right. Outside bolts are for body to frame, so I'd recommend getting a new one for that side. According to SpitBits, it's hardware bolt number HB828. I don't have access to my hardware catalog right now or I'd tell you what that is, but if you do a Google search you can find the hardware catalog for download (or someone else may provide).

I have a '66 and that center hole is there with a rubber plug. I'm not quite sure what it is for as it provides access to the interior of the heelboard area, not a bolt or anything else that I can figure. A drain spot for paint or some manufacturing thing, I presume, like the holes that are in the floor boards that don't really seem to serve a purpose.

Cheers,
Chris

Yes! That sure does seem like something kind of important to have installed. Glad I noticed that it was missing and a huge thanks to you and Vic to confirming!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster