AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

vehicle iD.
  This topic is about my 1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500
fxrrus Tim Figgatt
Sarasota, FL, USA   USA
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, so let me ask a couple of dumb questions.
The title of my car says 1978, Vin is 59878FM, the motor ID is FM 1710UE.
Differential number, though marred up, is something like FH 9192.
When I ordered wheel cylinders from Victoria British, they were too big. Either they made a mistake, or my rear axles aren't from 1978.
Where can I find an index matching differential numbers to years? The wheel cylinders changed from 1974 to 1975, according to catalog.
I'm guessing the motor may be a 1974, but I don't want to keep ordering cylinders based on assumptions.

Thanks,FXRRUS

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Tim,
The number you give as the VIN is really the body number The Commission number should be on a plate riveted to the windshield post and also another plate riveted to the driver side B post.
The body number you have seems to be for a 76 model year car. By 78 the body numbers were above 100K. Both the diff and engine numbers you give are early, way too early for a 78, or even a 76.
The inside diameter of the wheel cylinders did change several times over the 18 year Spitfire production run, but they all fit the same. If VB sent ones that don't fit the backing plate they aren't Spitfire wheel cylinders.
All the best,
Paul

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Many, many parts for our cars interchange, over the years it is not uncommon to end up thith a car that has components spanning several years. Which is OK, but confusing. In the case of your wheel cyls the important thing is (apart from actually fitting) that they match on each axel.

VB IMHO is not the best supplier in terms of reliably sending the right parts, giving advice, or offering quality parts.

They do offer a large range of products though, and the illustrations in their catalogue are useful.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
fxrrus Tim Figgatt
Sarasota, FL, USA   USA
To be clear, the wheel cylinders sent by VB fit the backing plate, and the retaining clip kit fit, but the hub won't rotate, it collides with the cylinder, as in the picture I attached.
I also notice that the piston itself in the old cylinder is the same size as the new piston, but the cylinder casting is bigger, i.e. has a thicker wall than the one I'm replacing, thus the interference with the hub.
So my original thought was, either the part is wrong, or they had a smaller cylinder in the earlier models, which is what I guess I have?

Attachments:
1020171615[23050].jpg    21.1 KB
1020171615[23050].jpg

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
That is the wrong part! Not a Spitfire application for any year.

fxrrus Tim Figgatt
Sarasota, FL, USA   USA
Tony and Paul,
Thanks for the quick advice, dudes,
I think I'll try Moss,
Tim

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Moss, the Radster factory, British parts North West, Spitbits, Ted Schumacher Imports, Rimmer Bros.

All popular suppiers.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I agree, that is definitely not any sort of Spitfire part. Make sure to send them back and ask for a refund. Call them and send a photo.
Dan

Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, Florida, USA   USA
Dont buy brake parts (or any critical use part) from VB. Ever. Welcome to the group! TRF (Triumph Roadster Factory) is a bit more expensive, but about the quickest supplier for you - they sell some crap too, but if a good one is available, they carry it. Their website sucks, call to order your parts. Moss is middle of the road, but far better than VB. Rimmers Brothers, in the Uk, is surprisingly fast (3-5 days for me north of Tampa), and depending on the exchange, can be well priced. The quality of everything I have gotten from them has been good.

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster