AutoShrine Sponsor

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
As I get a little time to work on my 70 Spitfire, yesterday I decided to clean, paint and partially install the upgraded headlight harness.

I have read over time of some having problems with the upgrade. So, I decided to go my own way on this. I removed the old wiring from each of the headlight baskets, cleaned and painted the baskets and parts. Do not cut the old wires. One set will be reused to the main harness.
I then measured the new headlight connectors and determined that a 1 1/4 inch hole would allow me to easily pass the connectors into the basket/s.

Before I punched the hole I paid a visit to my local hardware store to see what I could use to close up such a large hole and keep unwanted stuff out of the baskets.
I found a grommet of perfect match that had a hole in the center that was a good fit for the wires and thick enough to hold and fill everything well.

I took my diagonal cutter and simply cut through the grommet and slid the wires into it. If a perfect seal is wanted, a little black silicone or RTV will work well and make a good finish.
The old wiring from one of the baskets is used to connect to the new harness by plugging it into the harness connector. The other end of the old wiring reconnects (if removed) to the main harness connections as before. One set of the main harness to the other basket is not used.

Now my headlights will have the heaver wiring all the way to the headlights and NO splices to the old smaller wire. Follow your new harness instruction for hooking up to the battery or other connection and placement of the relays. Hopefully all upgraded headlight harnesses are similar to mine. I have looked at several and all follow similar hookups.

Hopefully the pictures attached will help to show part of how I did this.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Grommet.jpg    32.5 KB
Grommet.jpg

20171010_074426.jpg    25.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Split in Grommet.jpg    14.3 KB
Old to new connection.jpg    43.3 KB
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
My bulb plugs were brittle.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Doug W,
Too late for you now, but the wires can be removed from the plastic sockets by depressing a tiny flap or barb on the metal terminal and sliding them out. Then you can install the harness through a much smaller hole in the headlight shell. Raise the barbs back up and the wires go back into the socket just like new. winking smiley
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, Maryland, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Thank you guys. Yes, there are many ways to skin a cat! (old saying.)

Mine actually was very easy and no tabs to worry about.

As I mentioned there are many ways to do this and as Frank Sinatra sang........I did it my way! LOL!

regards,
Doug/SpitMan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster