Electronic ignition

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

daveu David Uren
Hampshire, Isle of Wight, UK   GBR
I have removed the cylinder head and all looks good no.4 cylinder seems washed and all the remaining combustion surfaces are oily but I dont think it is burning oil as very little wear is obvious. I believe it to be the residue from the additive used by the previous owner. Got a number of broken studs but this is to be expected.Thanks for suggesting Rimmer Bros they are helping me with my spares. I was wondering on whether to fit electronic ignition, has any body had experience with what to buy and where to purchase

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
several threads on points to Petronics EI, Crane/Allison/FAST XR700 is one you set the eye to the shutter window. (phaseing)
do a search here, read the comments.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
As Calvin says, there have been several threads on this the last few weeks. This side of the pond Petronix is very popular other members have used the Crane/Allison optical unit.

Accuspark seems popular in the UK, and there seems to be some very inexpensive Chinese options on ebay.

It is also possible to adapt an OE system from a more modern car to our ignitions.

IMO any EI will likely give you more accurat timing (performance) over points and condensor ignition. However, if an EI fails you walk home, not limp!

That said, for the last 30 years the OE car industry has giver our modern cars super reliable, maintenance free ignition systems, doing so is no longer 'Rocket Science' and the required electronics 'should' be very inexpensive.

Many of the aftermarket systems for our cars (IMO) are still lacking reliability AND too expensive.
Paying more seems to offer no guarantee.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
I put in a new Pertronix dizzy and an Accel CDI/MSD box. I am ecstatic with how well the car drives, but I carry my old dizzy in the trunk, just in case. So far, so good - the electronics have over 5K miles on them.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster