Electronic ignition

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

daveu David Uren
Hampshire, Isle of Wight, UK   GBR
I have removed the cylinder head and all looks good no.4 cylinder seems washed and all the remaining combustion surfaces are oily but I dont think it is burning oil as very little wear is obvious. I believe it to be the residue from the additive used by the previous owner. Got a number of broken studs but this is to be expected.Thanks for suggesting Rimmer Bros they are helping me with my spares. I was wondering on whether to fit electronic ignition, has any body had experience with what to buy and where to purchase

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Spitty"
several threads on points to Petronics EI, Crane/Allison/FAST XR700 is one you set the eye to the shutter window. (phaseing)
do a search here, read the comments.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
As Calvin says, there have been several threads on this the last few weeks. This side of the pond Petronix is very popular other members have used the Crane/Allison optical unit.

Accuspark seems popular in the UK, and there seems to be some very inexpensive Chinese options on ebay.

It is also possible to adapt an OE system from a more modern car to our ignitions.

IMO any EI will likely give you more accurat timing (performance) over points and condensor ignition. However, if an EI fails you walk home, not limp!

That said, for the last 30 years the OE car industry has giver our modern cars super reliable, maintenance free ignition systems, doing so is no longer 'Rocket Science' and the required electronics 'should' be very inexpensive.

Many of the aftermarket systems for our cars (IMO) are still lacking reliability AND too expensive.
Paying more seems to offer no guarantee.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
I put in a new Pertronix dizzy and an Accel CDI/MSD box. I am ecstatic with how well the car drives, but I carry my old dizzy in the trunk, just in case. So far, so good - the electronics have over 5K miles on them.

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
Moorhead, Minnesota, USA   USA
Can someone tell me what kind of igition this is ?

Attachments:
DSCF0296.JPG    55.1 KB
DSCF0296.JPG

DSCF0295.JPG    61.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Isn't that a label right there under the purple wire? It is obviously an aftermarket unit but I can't read it. may be a Crane.
Dan

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1497440 by Yellowhawk Valley Isn't that a label right there under the purple wire? It is obviously an aftermarket unit but I can't read it. may be a Crane.
Dan

I'm with you, Dan, but the thing that pops out at me is the OPUS distributor connector and drive resistor seem to be hooked up still.
I would also add that the Crane ignition was earlier sold under the Allison name.
All the best,
Paul

colodad Avatar
Allison! the molex plug would be cut and fitted into the wire to the dizzy's trigger.

I don't think the drive resistor is still used, just not removed from the orginal position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-12 09:13 AM by colodad.

Attachments:
Eric Fanning 79 Spit DSCF0295 (2).jpg    47.9 KB
Eric Fanning 79 Spit DSCF0295 (2).jpg

cwIMG_1544 wire connections.jpg    38.8 KB
colodad Avatar
the plug wiring is 180, Eric did you put the wires here because the rotor was pointing at the 180 position?

Attachments:
Eric Fanning 79 Spit DSCF0296 (2).jpg    42.7 KB
Eric Fanning 79 Spit DSCF0296 (2).jpg

Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
I just got the car and im a newbe to brits, I'm not a bad wrench but im over my head here. I bought it a week ago and put a battery and a fuel pump in it.
it runs great, drove about 15 miles today. are you saying the plug wires are on backward if so should i change it?

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1497523 by Erics79spit I just got the car and im a newbe to brits, I'm not a bad wrench but im over my head here. I bought it a week ago and put a battery and a fuel pump in it.
it runs great, drove about 15 miles today. are you saying the plug wires are on backward if so should i change it?

The firing order is 1-3-4-2, traditionally #1 is in the 7 o clock possition on the distributor.

colodad Avatar
what we have here is a dist gear that is 180 deg off. It just looks funny with the cap wires in like that.. Quite the conservation piece at the club meets..

In reply to # 1497542 by Tonyfixit
In reply to # 1497523 by Erics79spit I just got the car and im a newbe to brits, I'm not a bad wrench but im over my head here. I bought it a week ago and put a battery and a fuel pump in it.

The firing order is 1-3-4-2, traditionally #1 is in the 7 o clock possition on the distributor.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
As long as the firing order is correct the car will run fine no matter what clock position the #1 plug is at.

I prefer mine at 6 and cut the plug wires to fit and use those black plastic spacers but that's because my car is spoiled rotten.

colodad Avatar
a good work manual will be help in your future.
Is your 1500 at 77 or 78 ?

Attachments:
cwIMG_1600 #1 cylinder set to TDC.jpg    44 KB
cwIMG_1600 #1 cylinder set to TDC.jpg

cwIMG_2328 cap plug wires.jpg    57.7 KB
cwIMG_2329 rotor position with timing mark at TDC.jpg    51.8 KB
cwIMG_6761 dist removed incorrectly.JPG    41 KB
cwIMG_8251 dist removed correctly, drive gear 180 off.jpg    28.6 KB
cwIMG_8252 drive gear turned with crankshaft at TDC.JPG    28.6 KB
cwIMG_8259 dist gear with crank at TDC.JPG    27.1 KB
Erics79spit Avatar
Erics79spit Eric Fanning
Thanks It's a 78 but the title says 79 FM91xxx

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links