Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

dklee12 Avatar
dklee12 Doug Klee
Toms River, NJ, USA   USA
NEVER use the heater and always just considered ripping it out. If for nothing else, just to gain under dash space and clean up the engine compartment .

Plumbing wise, does any one have thoughts/photos of bypass piping between water pump out and radiator in. (Or is it the other way around?)
Thanks in advance.

Doug

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Don't know what year car it is or if still using original manifold, but if it is all stock, and you don't have a water choke, it would probably be best to interconnect them at the back of the engine where all the hoses start. You may still want the heat in the manifold.
As a side note, some owners comment that when the weather I warm and the engine gets a little warmer than normal, due to inadequate pieces elsewhere, they will use the blower and the heater to extract a bit of heat from the water. Sounds reasonable but I just fixed the water system so it doesn't overheat in the first place.
Unless the system is leaking, it doesn't hurt to leave it all there. You could just bypass the heater valve and leave the rest.
Dan

dklee12 Avatar
dklee12 Doug Klee
Dan...thanks for input.

After looking, brews & burner...
I'm thinking, just cap the heater feed line out of water pump and the return line out of the
thermostat housing. Or is it the other way around?
Thanks in advance

Doug

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MoneyPitSpit Avatar
MoneyPitSpit Ron (Smokey) Wasmuth
Beautiful, Sparkling, Lakeland, Florida, USA   USA
1974 Triumph Spitfire "Midnight Blue"
1995 Chevrolet Camaro "Crystal Blue Persuasion"
I live in Florida and never get that many "cold enough for a heater" days. I removed mine a few years back. I installed my radio where the heater controls were and added four relays and a four station fuse block on the fire wall.
I am in Cocoa beach at the present time but will be back home after I have breakfast and hit a couple bars, probably around 6/7 this evening. I can send you some photos then.
Right now I only have one on my laptop that shows the relays.
I'll send them to you in about nine hours.

Attachments:
Relays-027S.JPG    54.5 KB
Relays-027S.JPG

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
Sure, rip out the heater, bound to do wonders for the resale value when the time comes ...
Achieve instant DPO status!

BTW, I daily drove Spitfires for about 20 years in Miami.
The heater makes a HUGE difference on how well the defogger blower functions.
But then again, perhaps forward vision is over rated ...

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1490713 by clshore

Carter,
I'd say the people texting while at the wheel have spoken: forward vision isn't important enough to look at.eye popping smiley
All the best,
Paul

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Leave the heater in place.
If you still get heat in the cabin that you don't want, make sure the heater valve is fully closed. If you want to be certain, add a simple shutoff valve.
If a PO hasn't messed with the original plumbing, there is already a bypass in place for when the water valve is fully closed.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

gtspit Ed B
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 1490716 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1490713 by clshore

Carter,
I'd say the people texting while at the wheel have spoken: forward vision isn't important enough to look at.eye popping smiley
All the best,
Paul

As always, thinking ahead, & PMA (positive mental accreditation) ... no sarcasm intended.
thanks guys,
Although ...
living at "Hells Gate", can't say 'haven't considered the same. But, as Carter points out, think ahead further. Just a bit. Can you imagine if BL had thought to install/offer air conditioning on exports? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
My POV is what I'm leaving behind for the next owners. ... aside from the accumulation of parts.
Cheer down

smileys with beer
Ed.

BobDrummer Avatar
BobDrummer Bob Menzies
Bradentom, Florida, USA   USA
This is the cleanest way to do it....Kinda..... Florida car, so heater is deleted.... Just plugged the 2 heater line access points in the water pump housing. And I do have a manual choke.

Attachments:
GEDC1394.JPG    54.5 KB
GEDC1394.JPG

dklee12 Avatar
dklee12 Doug Klee
Bob...you're exactly where I want to be and this is the octopus I'm dealing with.
Suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Attachments:
IMG_5294.JPG    51 KB
IMG_5294.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG    44.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 1490728 by BobDrummer This is the cleanest way to do it....Kinda..... Florida car, so heater is deleted.... Just plugged the 2 heater line access points in the water pump housing. And I do have a manual choke.

The bypass is there to bypass coolant from the head back to the intake of the water pump, bypassing the radiator and thermostat.

It helps in warmup and in temperature management, and the proper operation of the thermostat.
That is why that bypass is there even in cars not equipped with a heater. (they were originally optional).

That on some cars they heated the inlet manifold is a by product of their true function.

The car will operate without a bypass, but temperature control, and the potential for air/steam lock will be increased.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Inside Levolour's vinyl roll shades are stainless steel springs that are perfect for the top curved hose.

MoneyPitSpit Avatar
MoneyPitSpit Ron (Smokey) Wasmuth
Beautiful, Sparkling, Lakeland, Florida, USA   USA
1974 Triumph Spitfire "Midnight Blue"
1995 Chevrolet Camaro "Crystal Blue Persuasion"
Doug,
Here are photos I promised.
Carter,
FYI I still have all parts, capability and intelligence to replace all heater components. Oh, and by the way, I still have all the parts to replace the dash as original. And I started with my first Spit in 1963.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-09 10:27 AM by MoneyPitSpit.

Attachments:
Bypass (1).JPG    43.9 KB
Bypass (1).JPG

Bypass (2).JPG    55.5 KB
Bypass.JPG    47.1 KB
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
IMO: You're better off having a single hose instead of all of those brass fittings.

chipkey101 Avatar
chipkey101 Billy Knight
Parrish, florida, USA   USA
Hello, I still have my heater but its bypassed.

Attachments:
DSCF4921.JPG    62.9 KB
DSCF4921.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster