Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sneaky Pete Avatar
Sneaky Pete Silver Member Pete Passon
Mooresville, Indiana, USA   USA
A closer look at the battery says it’s a used one from Autozone that was purchased Sept 27, 2017.....last f’g week!

I’ll get a decent replacement during lunch tomorrow. And a tender.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1489897 by Sneaky Pete A closer look at the battery says it’s a used one from Autozone that was purchased Sept 27, 2017.....last f’g week!

I’ll get a decent replacement during lunch tomorrow. And a tender.
I'd take the battery back to autozone and ask then to fully charge it . I'd suggest getting a 4 to 10 amp battery charger . One that will do "tending" as well as charging .

wendell Avatar
wendell Silver Member Wendell W
Missoula, montana, USA   USA
Welcome, you'll love it here. I have a red 67. keep us posted.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Sneaky Pete Avatar
The new battery fixed it! Thanks for all the replies.

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to # 1489897 by Sneaky Pete A closer look at the battery says it’s a used one from Autozone that was purchased Sept 27, 2017.....last f’g week!

just watched a 20 minute sales pitch on Frank's EZ battery course add here on Spit/GT6, $47.00, it teaches you to recondition all used and dead batteries back to 100% for big profits.

Was that "USED BATTERY" one of these home business batteries sold to Autozone ?

Sneaky Pete Avatar
No idea....I have never bought a used battery and makes me wonder why would one use a used battery.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1491243 by Sneaky Pete No idea....I have never bought a used battery and makes me wonder why would one use a used battery.

Like the birds say, "Cheap cheap." And sometimes it works.
All the best,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
I got a rebuilt battery when I decided to get my spit going after being parked for two years.

$10.

Lasted about a year with a float charger.

Sneaky Pete Avatar
Wellllllll....it's never over till it's over right? The new battery was doing great until this past weekend. Ran the car for a few hours and made several stops. Last stop the car would turn over slowly. Got it home and the battery was reading 11.8 volts with the car off. Jumped it and it read 12.2V. Now I look at the alt. It is not the original generator but it is a Lucas alt...maybe from 15 years ago. It is a 3 prong type. The nuts on the alt are rusty. Also the belt drive seems to be not as taut as it should. I've read the belt should have 3/4" of stretch. I have close to 1.25". I'll adjust the belt and see what it does. If nothing then it will be the alt that needs replacing. Any words of wisdom?

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497880 by Sneaky Pete Wellllllll....it's never over till it's over right? The new battery was doing great until this past weekend. Ran the car for a few hours and made several stops. Last stop the car would turn over slowly. Got it home and the battery was reading 11.8 volts with the car off. Jumped it and it read 12.2V. Now I look at the alt. It is not the original generator but it is a Lucas alt...maybe from 15 years ago. It is a 3 prong type. The nuts on the alt are rusty. Also the belt drive seems to be not as taut as it should. I've read the belt should have 3/4" of stretch. I have close to 1.25". I'll adjust the belt and see what it does. If nothing then it will be the alt that needs replacing. Any words of wisdom?

Go for more power. 35 amps is a little thin.

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
What kind of voltage are you getting with the engine running? How about when younstart turning things on...ligths, fan/blower, radio?

Maybe disconnect radio temporarily, to see if that is not draining the battery.

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497880 by Sneaky Pete Any words of wisdom?
Take the battery out and fully charge it , put it back in , then put your meter to the battery . Voltage setting , what does it read pre starting , what does it read post starting at 900ish motor pms , then what does it read at 4000 rpms ?
1) Voltage pre start =
2) Voltage post start , 900 ish rpms =
3) Voltage at 4000 rpms =
With those 3 voltages a "picture" can be formed and maybe "read" .

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
hatfield, ma, USA   USA
In reply to # 1497880 by Sneaky Pete Wellllllll....it's never over till it's over right? The new battery was doing great until this past weekend. Ran the car for a few hours and made several stops. Last stop the car would turn over slowly. Got it home and the battery was reading 11.8 volts with the car off. Jumped it and it read 12.2V. Now I look at the alt. It is not the original generator but it is a Lucas alt...maybe from 15 years ago. It is a 3 prong type. The nuts on the alt are rusty. Also the belt drive seems to be not as taut as it should. I've read the belt should have 3/4" of stretch. I have close to 1.25". I'll adjust the belt and see what it does. If nothing then it will be the alt that needs replacing. Any words of wisdom?

Basically.
With the car runnning.
2 voltage checks.
1 from battery terminal to ground. North of 14v.
2 from the alternator to ground. North of 14v.

If you have 14+ at alternator and less at battery. Condition your wires.
If both are the same 12vdc. Then replace your alternator.
If you have added anything to the system. Radio, sub woofer, fog lights, driving lights. Get a replacement with more amp output.

It's good you have voltage. However current is more important. With out a load check on the alternator, it's just guessing by voltage information.

Your new battery is still new. I wouldn't worry about it. Just charge it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-15 06:27 AM by lef2wander.

gfe05111952 Avatar
gfe05111952 George Earwaker
Falls Church, Virginia, USA   USA
Welcome to the Forum Pete. Advance Auto will test your alternator for free. Hopefully it's OK, and the belt has just been slipping because it was too loose.

George
1967 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph Spitfire4 Mk2
1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk3

2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
In reply to # 1489867 by Sneaky Pete
In reply to # 1489865 by Tonyfixit I have fitted a battery disconnect switch to disconnect the power supply if need be.

If you had one fitted it could help solve this problem.

There is a disconnect on the battery from the PO. I never thought the battery would loose charge overnight. I'll get a tester on the way home and start to fiddle with it.

Thanks guys!

PS......this place is friendlier than the Porsche forums smileys with beer

Porsche people love them our spit beats most of the porsches when we run there autocross events. Drives them crazy

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster