Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

John J Avatar
John J John B
Kirkland, WA, USA   USA
I received the u-Joints from Rimmer. Extremely fast shipping from UK. They are PowerTune made in Taiwan a little disappointing.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Been there, done that :-(

But Rimmers will give you a replacment if they fail in the next 6 months.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1488419 by Tonyfixit But Rimmers will give you a replacment if they fail in the next 6 months.

Tony,
That sounds good until you realize it is almost the end of the driving season for most of us. In six months the next season will just be starting. Better if you order these in March or April so you at least get a full season warranty.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I was being facicious. :-)

I have changed an awful lot of Triumph UJ's over the last 40 + years. I think I am pretty good at whipping off an axel, pressing or whacking out a UJ, putting things back together and bleeding brakes.

But it is not my idea of fun!

I read some years back that the Hardy Spicer UJ used on the Herald/ Vittesse Axels were close to their design limits, considering the potential torque, possible angle of deflection and Axeial thrust during cornering.

Typically UJ's on a regular drive shaft (by far the most common application) just have to deal with a minor deflections, and reduced torque 'before' the torque mulitiplication of the diff.

In short, we need Darn Good UJ's on our axels if they are to last any time at all!

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Got my Hardy Spicers from Chief Auto Parts before they folded.

John J Avatar
John J John B
Kirkland, WA, USA   USA
Most of the FLAPS offer lifetime warranty not that you would want to put the same ones in if they fail prematurely. I going to go ahead and use them and hope for the best.

John J Avatar
John J John B
Kirkland, WA, USA   USA

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford

John,
This is odd, I click the link and the page gives a nice red warning that "this part does not fit your 1966 Triumph Spitfire"! Since it is the same U-joint 62-80 what is up?
All the best,
Paul

John J Avatar
John J John B
Kirkland, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496814 by spitfire50
John,
This is odd, I click the link and the page gives a nice red warning that "this part does not fit your 1966 Triumph Spitfire"! Since it is the same U-joint 62-80 what is up?
All the best,
Paul

This is what it said for my 75 Spitfire?

Exact Fit for your 1975 Triumph Spitfire
Important fitment details

I tried a 66 and got this?

GKN Drivetech Universal Joint
No Reviews
Part #K1010390141GKN
Exact Fit for your 1966 Triumph Spitfire
Important fitment details

I went ahead and ordered a 2 for my driveshaft. I hope they fit. I already wasted $50 on the set from Rimmer Bros that turned out to be Powertune so I'm not using them.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2017-11-08 17.31.37.jpg    25.1 KB
Screenshot 2017-11-08 17.31.37.jpg

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
John,
I figured their computer was confused. Now I'm sure. winking smiley
All the best,
Paul

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
TRF has the original Hardy-Spicer on sale right now for $12.50 or so.
Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-08 08:16 PM by Yellowhawk Valley.

John J Avatar
John J John B
Kirkland, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1496836 by Yellowhawk Valley TRF has the original Hardy-Spicer on sale right now for $12.50 or so.
Dan

Thanks Dan I wish I had known that before I ordered a set from Rimmer Bros that turned out to be Powertune but the set I got from Advanced are GKN and the box also says Hardy-Spicer so I'm good for now.

John J Avatar
John J John B
Kirkland, WA, USA   USA
Installed the GKN U-joints and refilled the transmission with Valvoline 30W ND motor oil. The driveshaft vibration is gone and the overdrive shifts much better then it did with the GL4. Now I just need it to stop raining long enough for a good drive to check the OD when it is warm.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links