Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

fouken Ken Foust
Powell, TN, USA   USA
Hi all,

I am just starting a restore of a 1967 GT6. I want to remove the knock off wire wheels and replace with 4 bolt hubs. I've seen several articles and a you tube video for doing this to an MGB/GT, but have no idea if the process is similar or if all I need to do is put on 4 bolt hubs. Has anyone done this? Can anyone provide tips? Tricks?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Ken

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
From what I understand the wire wheel adapters bolt to the four studs that hold the regular rim on.
Simply remove the bolt on adapters and bolt on a rim/tire
That said, I'm not sure if the studs for both are the same length or different.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The wire wheels are held on with a splined adapter, take off adapter and bolt wheels on.

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
The other guys have guessed right but for one thing. The nuts that hold the splined adaptor to the hub uses a different mating surface on them than do the nuts that are designed to be used with the steel wheels. The splined hub nuts do not have the correct taper and will not stay tightened.
My 69 Spit came new with wires but they sent along a spare set of wheel nuts just in case. I still have those extra 16 wheel nuts somewhere in my horde of parts.
Dan

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Oh that's right. I forgot about the nuts.

In reply to # 1484942 by Yellowhawk Valley The other guys have guessed right but for one thing. The nuts that hold the splined adaptor to the hub uses a different mating surface on them than do the nuts that are designed to be used with the steel wheels. The splined hub nuts do not have the correct taper and will not stay tightened.
My 69 Spit came new with wires but they sent along a spare set of wheel nuts just in case. I still have those extra 16 wheel nuts somewhere in my horde of parts.
Dan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Also, you might have to install longer studs. Just make sure that you have enough threads to properly secure the lugnut.

Hukah Jim W
Detroit, Michigan, USA   USA
Looking to sell those wires once you get them off?

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1485032 by Hukah Looking to sell those wires once you get them off?

Should include all related parts too like the rear hubs up to the u-joints.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1485080 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1485032 by Hukah Looking to sell those wires once you get them off?

Doug,
Why? The splined adapters bolt on in exactly the same place as the bolt-on wheels. The worst he would have to do is swap in new studs. That doesn't require removing the axle flange, just popping the drum and shoes off.
All the best,
Paul

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1485176 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1485080 by Doug in Vegas

Doug,
Why? The splined adapters bolt on in exactly the same place as the bolt-on wheels. The worst he would have to do is swap in new studs. That doesn't require removing the axle flange, just popping the drum and shoes off.
All the best,
Paul

Well that's just cheating. winking smiley

fouken Ken Foust
Powell, TN, USA   USA
Thanks to all who answered.

Pulled off the wires/adapters this past weekend and the new wheels bolted right on. The studs seemed long enough so happy with that.

The wire wheels are in pretty rough shape, but I'd like to sell them to offset the cost of the new wheels. I'm hoping to get $200 out of them. Would ebay/craigslist be the best way to unload these or is there a better alternative?

Again, thanks to everyone who responded.

Ken

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Ken,
There is also the Buy, Sell, & Trade forum on this site. but remember used wire wheels are really not worth much because their condition isn't easy to determine without actually seeing them, pics just can't do the job.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster