AutoShrine Sponsor

Pats54 Avatar
Pats54 Gold Member Mark M
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500
2012 Volvo C70 "The Weekender"
Hi guys
Scratching my head and trying tho keep the MasterCard in my wallet

I head my cylinder head rebuilt on my 1500 I reinstalled it, changed the carbs to HS-4 and added a header
It will not start

I checked the compression today and had very low to none on 3 of the 4 and the number 4 was only 45 psi

After reading I am thinking I need to go back and adjust / reset the gap at the valves. When the head was rebuilt I did not give them the rocker assembly and I have not checked it since I reinstalled the head.

What do you think, would be a good place to start?

The head gasket was the proper one with the rings fro the 1500

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Yep.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Pats54 Avatar
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
Dave
I suppose there is no easy way to check them, just put it in gear and rock it forward until they are open all the way then set the gap?

Thanks for the quick response
Mark

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
Plenty of posts here on valve adjusting. You really need to do it after removing the head. Once you understand the rule of 9 it's easy. And yes remove the plugs and with the car in 4th gear roll it to position the valves for adjustment.

Ernie
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Pats54 Avatar
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
Thanks Ernie for the info on the plugs but what is the rule of 9 if you don't mind me asking.

I feel is though I need to know the other 8 first

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
It's pretty simple. Think of the valves as numbered from 1 to 8 from the front. To adjust number 1 you want number 8 to be open. To adjust number 2 you want number 7 to be open. In other words whichever valve is open you will adjust the valve number when added to it that equals 9

Ernie
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
So get a nice closed end wrench to fit the locking nuts and find a screw driver that is a nice fit for the adjuster slot . Unlock all of the nuts , then screw out the adjusters , all 8 , until you have a gap between the valve tip and the rocker arm tip .
Once you have that done for all of them you can start to adjust them for the feeler gauge . Pull the spark plugs so that the motor can be turned by hand . Put the feeler gauge in the 1st gap , adjust the adjuster until there is a very slight drag on the feeler , lock down the lock nut , put the feeler gauge in the 2nd gap and then do the adjustment with the feeler gauge , keep doing this all down the line of 8 adjusters . This is just an initial adjustment . Spin the motor by hand and test the gaps again , if any are loose do the adjustment to get them close to the final gap . When you can spin the motor and test the gaps and find that none are tight or loose then you can go for the final adjustments .

The final adjustment is to get the gap to drag on the feeler gauge ever so lightly after the lock nut is locked down . Lock down the nut and try the gap , if it is to loose unlock the nut and turn the adjuster down a hair , redo the lock nut and try the feeler gauge again .

Pats54 Avatar
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
Ernie
I will study it but I think I under stand now. Thank you

Pats54 Avatar
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
Lizard thank you
It seams as though this is not to be rushed and checked numerous times to make certain.
It seams like a simple task just relax and check my results

Again thank you

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
If you follow the rule of 9 it's once and done you really can't mess up. No need to hope you got it right.

Ernie
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1484906 by rhodyspit75 If you follow the rule of 9 it's once and done you really can't mess up. No need to hope you got it right.
And if you do them one at a time , front to back without the rule of 9s , you don't have a chance of messing up the rule of 9's .

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
In reply to # 1484912 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1484906 by rhodyspit75 If you follow the rule of 9 it's once and done you really can't mess up. No need to hope you got it right.
And if you do them one at a time , front to back without the rule of 9s , you don't have a chance of messing up the rule of 9's .

Just trying to help. Not get into a pi$$ing contest.

Ernie
1975 Triumph Spitfire

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1484904 by Pats54 Lizard thank you
It seams as though this is not to be rushed and checked numerous times to make certain.
It seams like a simple task just relax and check my results

Again thank you
The spitfire is an excellent car to learn this on , the parts are all up top and not hidden away .

And here is the opposite .

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA   USA
In reply to # 1484912 by Lizzard And if you do them one at a time , front to back without the rule of 9s , you don't have a chance of messing up the rule of 9's .

I put a socket on the crank pulley nut, watch the valve close as I turn the crank, adjust that rocker and go to the next one.

Pats54 Avatar
Maynard, Mass, USA   USA
Thanks guys
I know you only mean to help. I will review my Haynes and Bentley manuals also

We probably dont make PB&J sandwiches the same way but if the results are the same who cares.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster