AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
Is anyone....or has anyone ever run a 20w-50 'high milage' oil in their cars....any car...not just triumph?

Seems they put additives in there to stop or reduce oil leakage. Supposed to make ribber seals more soft. Although i dont think they has a spitfire in mind. (Probably a disclaimer on the back label " not to be used in old british cars....they will still leak tongue sticking out smiley)

Just curious. They say for engines over 75k miles.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
corillion Avatar
corillion Cherie Orillion
Covington, LA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Tin Lizzy"
I did in a 79 MG midget. But then I had a whole issue with that car so not really any real info I can provide. Didn't see any pro or con

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, Washington, USA   USA
My philosophy is why swell the rubber seals if they are not leaking. That is what they do with oil stop leak.

Bill

1980 Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
I have used high milage oil in my 84 Toyota Pick up, I had problem with the valve seals getting hard.
Valvoline high milage did help until I got around to replacing the seals.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Hi,
I find the 75K mile thing amusing. If at that mileage a modern engine is "high mileage" it has been badly neglected. Well treated twice that mileage wouldn't be "high mileage." After all lots of modern engines aren't due new spark plugs by 75K.
All the best,
Paul

Herald948 Avatar
Herald948 Andrew Mace
East Nassau, upstate NY, USA   USA
In reply to # 1485154 by spitfire50 Hi,
I find the 75K mile thing amusing. If at that mileage a modern engine is "high mileage" it has been badly neglected. Well treated twice that mileage wouldn't be "high mileage." After all lots of modern engines aren't due new spark plugs by 75K.
All the best,
Paul
I couldn't agree more, Paul; 75k is barely break-in mileage on most modern cars! But as to the original question, yes, I do use the Castrol High-Mileage oil, mostly because it's usually readily available and at a pretty decent price at good old Walmart. It certainly hasn't done any harm: my two "driver" Heralds are both at or above the 100k mile mark. And my '95 Honda Accord is currently at 316k and change. (I bought it with about 220k on it, and I'm thinking that I probably should think about new spark plugs for it...sometime soon. OTOH, it's getting 32-25mpg, so why mess with a good thing? grinning smiley

http://www.fairpoint.net/~herald948/database/

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
Many car manuals today say..."first service at 100k....and its usually the timing belt that gets changed"

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links