Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

tedriley Avatar
tedriley Ted Riley
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA   USA
My spitfire 1500 is knocking pretty good starting at 2500 rpm. Since the weather will be changing soon to colder I was entertaining the idea of doing a complete rebuild on the engine. Ive done a little research and have discovered there may be other options with other engines close to the same money. The car it self is pretty solid and I plan on keeping it for a long while. What should I do? Rebuild or upgrade to a different engine?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
I personally wouldn't want a 1500 as an albatross around my neck. I have put number 3 rod thru the side of too many blocks. If you plan on keeping the car look for a small journal 1296. In the long run you will be a lot happier with it.

Lizzard d id
san jose, ca, USA   USA
In reply to # 1484861 by tedriley My spitfire 1500 is knocking pretty good starting at 2500 rpm. Since the weather will be changing soon to colder I was entertaining the idea of doing a complete rebuild on the engine. Ive done a little research and have discovered there may be other options with other engines close to the same money. The car it self is pretty solid and I plan on keeping it for a long while. What should I do? Rebuild or upgrade to a different engine?
You could maybe just do a bearing job on it . That might get you up and running while you think about a full rebuild or another motor / trans .

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
If you have a nice car I would always opt for a rebuild/replace with a Triumph engine.

Just a once over as Lizzard suggests may be appropriate (and it is perfectly fine for most people), but if you want to drive hard, then a small crank 1300 is a better option, as it is quite happy at any RPM likely to be seen.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Thinking of the old "horseless carriage" idea you can think of it as having a nice carriage.

Now all you need is the horsepower.

Or torque.

Ever consider going EV?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 11:32 PM by Doug in Vegas.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
As suggested, it depends how you see yourself using the car and what you want out of it.

Once in a while I think "what would I do if MY engine had a major issue." Put money into restoring it or another 1500, seek another SC engine, or bite the bullet and explore a modern engine/transmission transplant?

From what I have learned, NO transplant is without it's stubbling blocks, and the question still remains, ' will it still feel like a triumph?'

As a long time triumph owner, I am often astounded by what (these days, on this site) owners pay for machine shop services. For a large part this may be due to owners NOT assessing an engine themselves, but just dumping an oily engine or block on a pallet and asking for a quote 'fix it! ' I have been on the receving end of these myself (I do not have a machine shop but had access to one, and a good relationship with the machinists) My answer would be, " write me a blank check and trust me, or I will give you a quote with a 50% margin added"
Of course, many people do not like this, it requires some 'effort' if only dissision making, on their part. They would rather get a stupid quote, and bite the bullet and pay through the nose, assuming everything (when they get the engine back) will be huncky dory.

So back to the question. What are YOU prepared to do?

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, Florida, USA   USA
How long are you prepared to not drive the car?
Swapping in another running Spitfire motor can be done in as little as a few hours.
Adapting a different motor and/or drivetrain can take weeks, months, years, decades, forever ...

Forget about what you paid for the car, decide how much it would cost to buy your car if it was in good running condition.
A bargain is not what you pay, it's what you get.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links