Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveTheBrewer Avatar
SteveTheBrewer Steve Lembree
Orlando, Florida, USA   USA
I had been told that the steering wheel is not correct for the car. Is that right? Someone said it looks to be from a GT6. Thoughts? I'm not a purist and plan on adding a few retro mods to it because that would be way cheaper than going fully stock.

In reply to # 1485370 by Notti Steve, two things you may want to keep around after all the refitting is the Banjo steering wheel and that original shift knob. If you swap them out you can sell them for a good price to those that want to go stock and can't find recreations. I had my car resprayed and the shift knob dissapeared at the paint shop. Still don't have a replaceme over a year later.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Notti Avatar
Notti Eric N
San Dimas, CA, USA   USA
It looks exactly like my '69 MK3 which is next to impossible to get in good shape. I think the 70 is supposed to look like this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 01:24 PM by Notti.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Steve, you are right, that banjo steering wheel is not correct for a 1970.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveTheBrewer Avatar
Now, here is a question. My car was made in Oct of 1969, is titled as a 1969 but has a 1970 commission number. Is it safe to say that it is a 1970 for sure?

In reply to # 1485385 by grubscrew Steve, you are right, that banjo steering wheel is not correct for a 1970.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
In reply to # 1485389 by SteveTheBrewer Now, here is a question. My car was made in Oct of 1969, is titled as a 1969 but has a 1970 commission number. Is it safe to say that it is a 1970 for sure?

In reply to # 1485385 by grubscrew Steve, you are right, that banjo steering wheel is not correct for a 1970.

It's a 1970 based on the commission number.
By the way, the TRIUMPH lettering on the bonnet is incorrect for a 1970 and it's missing the RAF roundel that should be on the bonnet.
Post an engine bay photo as well as a photo of the rear end.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

SteveTheBrewer Avatar
I want to apologize to Scott, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Sorry mate.

Here are the best pics I can give you. The car is buried in the garage surrounded by stuff I had to secure for the hurricane.

In reply to # 1485410 by grubscrew
In reply to # 1485389 by SteveTheBrewer Now, here is a question. My car was made in Oct of 1969, is titled as a 1969 but has a 1970 commission number. Is it safe to say that it is a 1970 for sure?

It's a 1970 based on the commission number.
By the way, the TRIUMPH lettering on the bonnet is incorrect for a 1970 and it's missing the RAF roundel that should be on the bonnet.
Post an engine bay photo as well as a photo of the rear end.

Attachments:
IMG_1752.JPG    49.3 KB
IMG_1752.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG    68 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Oops, the rear is not 1970 either!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

SteveTheBrewer Avatar
So.... Is it a 1969? I like 1969 better, it sounds sexier. LOL
In reply to # 1485418 by grubscrew Oops, the rear is not 1970 either!

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The rear is 69.
The bonnet looks 69.
The engine is not 69.
It's a Heinz.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

spitfire6 Avatar
spitfire6 iain m
Burnley, Lancashire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1485133 by Doug in Vegas I'd redo the center to house a single touch screen radio/mp3/gps.

Hi,
That is what I plan on doing!
I have the 7" screen and PLC to control it, as well as four Ethernet 8 port field devices to connect the io.
Its a mix of Siemens and Balluf.
Software is Siemens TIA V14.
Can gauge what ever I want.
64 Digital IO and 10 Analog inputs.
24VDC I know but have 12 V zenners and 24VDC relays for the big stuff, to be fed from a 12V to 24V Buck Boost converter.

Cheers,
Iain.
PS. Can post some pictures if interested.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
Sometimes dealers wouldn't sell all of a model year so they would call last year's model this year's because they wanted to sell it as "new".

SteveTheBrewer Avatar
So would they also change the commission number to reflect the newer model year? I figured the commission number was right from the factory.

In reply to # 1485485 by Doug in Vegas Sometimes dealers wouldn't sell all of a model year so they would call last year's model this year's because they wanted to sell it as "new".

paddy1998 Avatar
paddy1998 Scott Delaney
Joliet, IL, USA   USA
Frankly, between the wiring and the lackadaisical attitude towards record keeping, I've had to wonder how they maintained the empire for as long as they did. winking smiley

Notti Avatar
Notti Eric N
San Dimas, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1485421 by SteveTheBrewer So.... Is it a 1969? I like 1969 better, it sounds sexier. LOL
In reply to # 1485418 by grubscrew Oops, the rear is not 1970 either!
The 1969 had dual carbs and an elongated air cleaner. You've got a 1970 drive train.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1485513 by SteveTheBrewer
In reply to # 1485485 by Doug in Vegas Sometimes dealers wouldn't sell all of a model year so they would call last year's model this year's because they wanted to sell it as "new".
So would they also change the commission number to reflect the newer model year? I figured the commission number was right from the factory.

If there is one thing history has shown us it's greedy car dealerships would never lie for money.

I guess you would have to dig through the factory logs to see if that number was designated to that color car.

Engines get swapped on these cars all the time so it's not unusual to see a mismatch there.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links