Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GottaSpit Avatar
GottaSpit Duncan A
Folsom, California, USA   USA
I found a lot of good ideas on the previous forum posts.

For my Mark II, I used the set up shown on the attached photos. My two cents on this:
1) is your tank clean? Failure of the newish fuel pump could be from junk which has accumulated in your tank over the years?
2) A your lines clean? Mine had a layer of gunky varnish. Replaced them with steel.
3) Fittings were a nightmare! Flared, pipe thread, compression etc. Try to get this right with the help of a real autoparts store (not these cheesy ones you see everywhere) and be prepared to have leaks, drain the tank and try another fitting set up.
4) Tank fitting shown on the photo would have been a good place to put in the pump, but I wanted it in the engine compartment. A shut off valve would be good here as well. Glad I put it in the engine compartment because...
5) The pump is noisy! Clacking sound. Maybe you could find one that is quieter. But after shelling out $40 for my noisy one, I didn't feel like buying another one. (but maybe a spare would be good?) Photo 2 shows the pump location, as low as I could get it (you want it below the level of the tank). You can also see the small block chevy blanking plate. Fit perfect. I have heard that some folks will put a hole in this and attached an engine breather here.
6) Last picture is of the the pressure regulator. Mr. Gasket has taken some heat over this unit leaking, but I haven't had any problems. Holley makes a unit but it is expensive.

Good luck.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Spit fuel line in trunk.jpg    22.1 KB
Spit fuel line in trunk.jpg

Spit fuel pump.jpg    36.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
spit fuel regulator.jpg    37.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ExPatBrit Avatar
ExPatBrit Mike W
Redmond, WA, USA   USA
I have a facet , mounted on rubber standoffs underneath the tank. I bought the inline fuel filters for the pump.

http://www.facet-purolator.com/posi-flo-pumps.php

Attachments:
facet pump.jpg    36.1 KB
facet pump.jpg

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
My mechanical pump failed recently too.

The nut that sandwiches the two washers on either side of the rubber diaphragm was loose from the factory allowing the shaft to rotate until it worked loose from the lever.

Before that the exit valve leaked.

The first was a total failure and the other an intermittent failure.

Make sure the filter is BEFORE the pump.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
corillion Avatar
corillion Cherie Orillion
Covington, LA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Tin Lizzy"
Thanks guys exactly the info I needed.
Picked up electric fuel pump today. Already had stuff for safety cutoff.
Found location for new pump to go.
Just need to pick up blank plate tomorrow and a new length of hose and I'll be good to go.
Temporarily connected new pump and car ran fine

Attachments:
IMG_2470.JPG    49 KB
IMG_2470.JPG

corillion Avatar
Covington, LA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1484846 by tapkaJohnD Cherie,
You were too polite to say, so I will for you. Anyone who addresses you as "dude" is annoying.

John

I was going to be a lot less polite.
Btw, it wasn't the dude comment that I took offense to in that post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-13 08:16 PM by corillion.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA   USA
In reply to # 1484846 by tapkaJohnD Cherie,
You were too polite to say, so I will for you. Anyone who addresses you as "dude" is annoying.

John

Same goes for "boss".

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Just make sure your inlet and outlet pipes are level with the ground, like Mike's picture post#17. But, wrap your wires to protect them from "stuff" in the boot.

'S all for now
Vic

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Even though it's a done deal, I finally have a decent picture, so I'll post it :-)

Attachments:
IMG_20170913_191403.jpg    72.4 KB
IMG_20170913_191403.jpg

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, washington, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Glad to see you got it running right. I will add a note; if you remove the original pump and a fixable error and put it back. You can leave it there as a back up to the electric. If you do, I will caution you to put a hose on both sides and either plug each one or, you can just loop it if you want. If you leave it open you will hear a lot of sucking and pumping with the pump inlet/outlet pipes open.
Good job.
Dan

dklee12 Avatar
dklee12 Doug Klee
Toms River, NJ, USA   USA
Dude.

A link to these 4000000 forum discussions would have been more productive and the "spoon fed" comment was out of line.
Here's some crow for your spoon...you're rude bro.

no 2 cents...just fact.

Doug

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, wa, USA   USA
Love seeing where everyone mounted the facet pump... How about wiring? Where did you tap into for switched power?

Cheers

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Mine runs through a VW relay on its own circuit from aux fuse box takes the signal from the coil if motor stops pump stops

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

corillion Avatar
Covington, LA, USA   USA
My wiring harness if from Advance auto-wire and it has a dedicated wire for elect fuel pump. so I already had the wiring connections handled. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Nice

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-15 10:28 AM by Andy-Sherry.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster